Replace/concat May Not Result In Data > 32000 Bytes. (11678)

PrJlndni

Good day Masters,

I would like to ask for your expert advice.
I have this code that use to retrieve all the names and its corresponding code ID in the database.
The list record as counted is around 1,266. I wanted to view it using a combo box. Upon running, this error occurs (REPLACE/CONCAT may not result in data > 32000 bytes. (11678)).

Code:
DEFINE VARIABLE t-to-user  AS CHARACTER FORMAT "x(24)" label "User  " view-as combo-box.
define variable userstr as char init "".
FOR EACH TSGInv.employee where TSGInv.employee.user-code NE "000"  by TSGInv.employee.emp-name.
         ASSIGN userstr = userstr + ',' + string(trim(TSGInv.employee.emp-name),"x(20)") + "|" + TSGInv.employee.user-code.
END.
ASSIGN t-to-user:LIST-ITEMS IN FRAME fr-user = userstr.

Please help. Thank you so much in advance Masters. :)

Regards,
PrJlndni

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
How many records is that generating on TSGInv.employee? Basically the userstr variable is being given more than 32KB of data which is the maximum for a character variable.

PrJlndni

Hello Master Cringer,
Good day!

According to the specifics of the code, the program will return a 1,266 total number of records.
Have you encountered something like this before Sir? How did you resolve it? :)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Yes I've encountered this many times before. The first question you need to ask yourself is what use would a combo box be with 1266 records in it? That's going to be a nightmare to work with. If you really need something like this then you're going to have to come up with a different way of selecting the record you want. A simple way would be a fill in with a button that runs a partial lookup with a browse in it.

Osborne

As Cringer points out, that is a lot of records for a combo box and a browse would be better. If you have to use a combo box then add each list item individually:
Code:
FOR EACH TSGInv.employee where TSGInv.employee.user-code NE "000" NO-LOCK by TSGInv.employee.emp-name:
   ASSIGN userstr = /* userstr + ',' + */ string(trim(TSGInv.employee.emp-name),"x(20)") + "|" + TSGInv.employee.user-code.
   t-to-user:ADD-LAST(userstr) IN FRAME fr-user.
END.

PrJlndni

Good morning Masters.

Master Cringer: Indeed, there are a lot of ways to show those records but then combo-box is the nicest way to show to the clients the items based on the design. :)

Master Osborne: Thank you so much Master. :)

Thank you Masters :)

Regards,
PrJlndni

altair

I also already have this issue.

Maybe you have also other variables defined as not NO-UNDO (example : DEFINE VARIABLE c AS CHARACTER.).

If you have a lot variables defined without the NO-UNDO option and you store in each also a lot of data, then you may exceed the limit of 32000.

Without NO-UNDO, the limit of 32000 applies to all the variable of the program together (meaning : LENGTH(var1) + LENGTH(var2) + LENGTH(var3) +... must be < 32000), so it can be overflowed very fast.
If you use NO-UNDO, you will have a limit of 32000 per/ for each single variable of the programseparately, so the limit may be overflowed slower/later.

This article give the complete explanation :
Progress KB - Error "Attempt to update data exceeding 32000 . (12371)" raised when assigning a value to a variable

I agreed, it is not good to store this amount of data into a single CHARACTER variable.

Depending on what you can do, it is better to use CHARACTER NO-UNDO or a LONGCHAR NO-UNDO (unless you use these variables in a TRANSACTION block) , or better, a TEMP-TABLE to fill your combo-box / browse widget.

Hopes it can help.