PSC Roadmap Webinar

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It's fairly high-level, but there's lots of interesting new stuff there, especially on the development side. They're acknowledging long-standing gaps like OO support, BI tools, etc., and committing to providing solutions. There was a bit of stuff for DBA types too. So the year ahead should be interesting.

I assume we'll get some more specifics around release targets in the roadmap discussion at PUG Challenge/Exchange.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely agree on the seamless upgrade stuff. I'm having a right old time of it trying to get our 11.5 64 bit test environment set up.
I missed the bit in the presentation where he was talking about Table Partitioning. I surmised from the PPT that he was saying you will be able to partition a table such that some partitions can be available in the cloud and others on local disk. Is this what he actually said or am I living in a dream world?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I surmised from the PPT that he was saying you will be able to partition a table such that some partitions can be available in the cloud and others on local disk. Is this what he actually said or am I living in a dream world?
That's not exactly my recollection, although I was multitasking during the webinar so I could be wrong. He talked in general terms about TP allowing you to spread out your DB across media, but that's really core to TP from the beginning. What I recall is that he talked about adding read-only partitions to the product.

Also DB-related was a new capability that will allow you to track changes (I forget the specific terminology used for it) to allow you, for example, to refresh a reporting DB that already contains yesterday's or last week's prod data with just what has changed since then, as opposed to blowing it away and replacing it with a newer copy of prod.

And a BravePoint BI tool called 360 is going to be kept and rolled into the OE family.

Cringer

Staff member
Also DB-related was a new capability that will allow you to track changes (I forget the specific terminology used for it) to allow you, for example, to refresh a reporting DB that already contains yesterday's or last week's prod data with just what has changed since then, as opposed to blowing it away and replacing it with a newer copy of prod.

Yeah that was mentioned at the EU PUG Roadmap session by Rob Straight. I really need this. Currently we extract far too much unchanged data every night for a Warehouse product.

And a BravePoint BI tool called 360 is going to be kept and rolled into the OE family.

This can only be a good thing! :)

Cringer

Staff member
What challenges are you having?
The biggest challenge is that we are only given 30 days of trial license at a time. The first set ran out last week. So when the new license keys arrive I'll have to install on a different machine to get the cfg file to transfer over. Or I can uninstall/reinstall.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Trial periods are negotiable, if you can make a reasonable case for needing longer. And if you can't get a longer trial, for not much money there's always the PSDN option.

Cringer

Staff member
Trial periods are negotiable, if you can make a reasonable case for needing longer. And if you can't get a longer trial, for not much money there's always the PSDN option.
Yeah that's what I thought. Unfortunately I'm not the one dealing with our rep, and we get the trials 30 days at a time.

Cringer

Staff member
Aren't you using Replication Plus? Can't you do read-only queries from the replica?
You'd think so. Unfortunately the replica server is too slow to be of any use. It barely keeps up in day to day replication. Adding RO reads to it would be a nightmare. Hopefully once we have our new servers configured and in place we'll be able to offload the work over there.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
360 = qlikview.

which is quite highend and hardware/resource intensive.

not suitable for alot of customers.