Proshut

Chris Bruno

I work for Dell Services and the account we're on just purchased a new site that uses Progress for an app called AdvancedWare.

The new company is fairly security conscious and we keep things as locked down as possible.

The user would like to run proshut and disconnect users. How can this be done with his NON-ADMIN account? I can grant elevated access to the file structure, registry, etc. if needed.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In order to disconnect a user via proshut you must be either root/administrator or the user that started the database. Hopefully, given that they are security-conscious, they don't start the database as an admin and instead have a dedicated account for that.

Chris Bruno

Actually we use a dedicated service account to start the database. That account IS in the local admins group...are you indicating it doesn't need to be?

Is there a way to do this remotely?

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
That account IS in the local admins group...are you indicating it doesn't need to be?
If the service account owns the database files and has RW permission on the database directory then it does not need to be an admin to stop and start the database and do other database administration tasks.

Proshut can run remotely (in theory; I haven't tried it). Use proshut parameters -H <hostname> -S <broker port# or service name>. Search for "PROSHUT command" in the Database Administration manual for more details. Documentation for your release can be downloaded here:
OpenEdge Product Documentation Overview - Wiki - OpenEdge General - Progress Community