Progress9 Windows XP Database server

We use Progress 9.1C on Windows XP
I try to connect to my server local.
1) I start the server with proserver => it will be fine
2) I connect two Applications to the database => it will be fine
3) When I am running theses to applications at the same time an both want to write in the same table I get the error: 2624:
'<file-name> in use by <user> on <tty>. Wait or choose CANCEL to stop. (2624)
You tried to access a data record that is locked by another user. The message tells you the table the record is in and the user who has locked the record. Either choose CANCEL to terminate your operation, or wait for the other user to release the locked record. '

How can I suppress this message?
Can anyone help me please?

Matthias Röttgermann

Presuming you are using the 4GL client rather than the SQL client...

It's not so much that both want the same table, its that both want the same record.

find <table-name> exclusive-lock where <field> = <criteria> and ....
NO-WAIT no-error.

The NO-WAIT tells the program not to stop if the record is not available. You then have to do your own trapping of the success or failure.

It may be that one of your programs is locking every record in the table. This should be addressed unless it is intentional.

Than you very much

Dear Mr. Harman,

Thank you very much for your help.
This information seems to be the detail I need. Now it functions in my test-program.

Matthias Röttgermann

toby.Harman said:
Presuming you are using the 4GL client rather than the SQL client...

It's not so much that both want the same table, its that both want the same record.

find <table-name> exclusive-lock where <field> = <criteria> and ....
NO-WAIT no-error.

The NO-WAIT tells the program not to stop if the record is not available. You then have to do your own trapping of the success or failure.

It may be that one of your programs is locking every record in the table. This should be addressed unless it is intentional.