Progress V9.1D and Progress 10 OE Vs VmWare

Yamen

Hello everyone,

I really dont know where I shall post this thread so I hope someone will answer me here!

currently, we are running on progress 9.1D and will soon move to Progress 10 OpenEdge. We are having a major Hardware change in terms of servers and storage. VMWare is a very recommended option and we will go for it, but I am afradi that the two mentioned Progress versions might have a conflict with VMWare. Please advise and I wish someone who implemented this option can tell me more about how is it going!

Many Thanks,
Yamen

Yamen

Thanks for the reply TomBascom,

I was thinking of VMWare to avoid Hardware crashes on my servers and I was wishing to bet higher performance by allocating more resources for my database. How come i will lose performance?

Thanks again,
Yamen

Yamen

Please add to my query that I was informed that Progress license works per server/CPU... If that is true, then how can I overcome this license issue when using VMWare where I have more than 1 server used as a resource pool?

Thanks,
Yamen

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I fail to see how VMWare will help you to avoid hardware crashes. If something is wrong with the hardware it is going to be just as much a problem with VMWare as without...

As for why it is slower... any layer of abstraction and indirection has a cost. VMWare has several such layers and they will have an impact. Particularly on IO performance.

Licensing. Progress briefly flirted with CPU based licenses but they are no longer part of the standard license offerings. You might, however, be thinking of the distinction between "workgroup" and "enterprise" offerings. Both "work" with more than 1 CPU but Enterprise is designed for multiple CPUs and workgroup is not. In fact workgroup prior to 10.1B has major performance challenges when multiple CPUs are present.

Lastly... you cannot use VMWare to create resources out of thin air. You cannot use it to give Progress more resources than you would have available with the bare machine.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Do you mean more than 1 server or more than one CPU? Wouldn't more than one server make it cloud computing rather than VMWare? And, if CPU, no VMWare is needed to take advantage of multiple CPUs with an Enterprise license.

king_kong

Can somebody mention what all changes are found in Progress 10 OE from Progress V9.1D.
Please let me know the major differences between Progress V9.1D VS Progress V9.1D....
Any Document given will be appreciated!!!

we changed only:

SESSION:SUPPRESS-WARNINGS = TRUE. // suppress unreachable code warnings

and 64bit version 10.1b+ changed:

&IF PROVERSION = '10.1A' &THEN // or 9 progress
&Scoped-define PUT-LONG PUT-LONG
&ELSE
&Scoped-define PUT-LONG PUT-UNSIGNED-LONG
&ENDIF

other code compiled and worked ok when moved from 9 to 10 version.