[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Online schema changes don't work (and never have)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

OK we are now running OE 11.7.4 (both on the PASOE-client side of things and on the database side of things). And we are still getting some pretty scary errors in our remote clients after a schema change. The "remote servers" are very, very confused about the underlying database schema. SYSTEM ERROR: Failed to extract field 187 from ord_hdr record (table 441) with recid 13827526. (3191) I have one open ticket with Progress about the inability to perform online schema changes. That ticket was for a slightly different message: "RAW-TRANSFER STATEMENT FAILED (11425) DUE TO STALE SCHEMA" Progress KB - RAW-TRANSFER statement failed (11425) due to stale schema for table 'abc' The support case has been open for almost a year. The original commitment was to fix that in 11.7.4 but weren't able to deliver. I'm hoping the fix for "STALE SCHEMA" finally comes in 11.7.5. If we do get the fix, then what are the chances that an additional failure message (failed to extract field) would go away as well? I don't know why there aren't a lot more developers that run into these issues. Don't any other Progress customers ever attempt to use the features for "online schema changes"? When this stuff first became available, I was very skeptical that it could be pulled off properly. What I'm now being told by Progress is that schema changes can be made in either ABL or SQL ... but if they are made on one half then the servers on the other half become stale/inconsistent/confused. I wish the two teams that work on those technologies would get on the same page. Sometimes it feels like the OE database has been given a frontal lobotomy - and the SQL and ABL technologies are not really inter-connected the way they should be. Perhaps Progress should just go back to disallowing online schema changes until they can get their ducks in a row. I'd prefer to get a message saying that the database couldn't be locked for modification, rather than a message that appears like the database has been permanently corrupted: SYSTEM ERROR: Failed to extract field... Sorry for the complaining. It is a bad day when you get a message saying you have a corrupted database. (At least that's the first conclusion based on the google hits and the Progress KB )

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.