[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: .Net openclient usage in netstandard library (eg. from .net core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Another update... .Net openclient proxies can now be used from .net core 3 applications. This is despite the fact that the proxies are regular Framework assemblies (not .Net standard libraries). This is possible with .net core 3. Preview 7 of .net core 3 is available now as a release candidate. It is supported in production, per the following announcement: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/announcing-net-core-3-0-preview-7/ And the new .net core 3 now includes the class OleDbException (for better or worse). So the old-school .Net Framework proxies that are created from "proxygen" (11.7) can now be referenced within a .Net Core 3 application. It just works! Note that aside from just adding those proxy-related assemblies into a core app, I also had to include a package reference to "Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility". I'm pretty happy that Microsoft did all of the heavy-lifting to make this possible for us. Obviously it would be much better if Progress was to generate standard libraries and formally support them on .Net core, but that might take a while. In the meantime we are finally able to migrate our client applications to .Net core. Here are snippets of my project file. By targeting core 3.0 and using "Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility", the old proxies could be used without any changes : netcoreapp3.0

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.