[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: From HP-UX to Redhat

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dvoyat

Hi Brad, Sounds interesting topic as we're also in similar process. Not sure there's an up to date best practices material from Progress regarding LInux & VMWare (or concurrent) setting. Below a case we've found (db crash) during some pilot we did as we're not running our DB against root user (fixed by changing kernel param). knowledgebase.progress.com/.../semaphores-removed-when-user-logs-out-on-Linux-000086484 Should you face also long adminserver start. knowledgebase.progress.com/.../AdminServer-slow-to-start-on-Linux For semaphore settings following KB might help knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P61278 If you're not only migrating DB but ABL sources/script as well moving from Hp-UX to Linux might requires some extra checking too (basically OS-xxxx command as well INPUT/OUTPUT THROUGH...). We've not yet move any production DB to Linux (only some test pilot) but sounds keeping db block size to 8k is still ok (at least Progress seems recommended a multiple of OS block size which I guess is 4k for you so 8kb remains good). We've been working from many years with VMware and running several VM (HP-Ux) within same host without any issue. It's obviously depending on your hw but I can't see the point of limiting 1 vm per host. Most critical performance point might anyway remains on your FS definition and corresponding IO constraints. Should you use LVM you can configure volume group and disk as per basic Progress/DB recommendation (separated VG for DB, AI,BI) and adjust you disk/SAN adapter accordingly. Do not trust super fast SSD, that could help but you will super fast realize that iops bottleneck is elsewhere (unless your DB activity is fairly low) especially with SAN. Please keep posting your feedback I'm interesting to hear about any findings as we shall proceed with production DB and application migration from Hp-Ux to Linux at some point during 2019 too. Denis

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.