Question Progress Code To Retrieve Appserver Name

Madhusudan

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a sample code to retrieve the Appserver name. I want to run this code in my client and retrieve the Appserver and NameServer information.

Do any of the VSTs have this information. Please help

Regards,
Madhu

RealHeavyDude

There is no VST holding the name of the AppServer. For the database the AppServer agent is just another user. It may be logged into the database with a certain user id or some generic one.

When your client just is connected to the database:
  • Either you store the connection information to AppServer in a configuration file that is accessible to the client.
  • Or you roll your own logic to store the information in the database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Madhusudan

There is no VST holding the name of the AppServer. For the database the AppServer agent is just another user. It may be logged into the database with a certain user id or some generic one.

When your client just is connected to the database:
  • Either you store the connection information to AppServer in a configuration file that is accessible to the client.
  • Or you roll your own logic to store the information in the database.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I think I'll go with one of the approaches you have suggested. I assume there is no progress script or something to retrieve the Appserver information.

RealHeavyDude

Why should there be a script provided by Progress? Having a client connected to the same database where an AppServer is connected that you want to connect that very same client too - to me looks very odd. Futhermore you might use DNS Aliases or network proxies that you connect to the host the database is completely oblivious to.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Several reasonably well-known applications simultaneously use both C/S connections and app servers that connect to the same db.