Progress Application Development Standards

mkontou

I am trying to create some kind of standards for our companies software developers to follow when creating Gui and Web speed applications. So far, everybody is writting in any way each individual prefears and as a result we find it very difficult to take over some one elses project. Does anyone have any guidlines on how you define standards or a sample document of such BUT for Progress developers use not Oracle or C or .NET?
I thing it is a very interesting issue all of us should get involved with.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
mkontou,

can you please elaborate

naming conventions e.g. internals variables, procedures, functions, database tables, fields etc.
specific best practices / patterns etc.
using comments or just writing clean understandable code

or is it more of an esoteric/style thing

abbreviations e.g. character vs char
capitalizing reserved words e.g. PROCEDURE vs procedure
indentations size etc.
use if then do: vs if then
do:

that reminds me, anybody here remembers beauty.p
talk about nostalgia, it's one of the first progress app i've ever used

There is an old doc of suggested standards written by the administrator of this site.

http://resources.progresstalk.com/D...mentation/Document Library/User Documentation

I browsed through it some years ago. Don't know if it has been updated, or how relavent it is. May get you started with some ideas.

I also think that keeping up with MS standards is always a good idea if that's your bag, as there are several resources in that respect. There may be some ideas also on Scott Auges Progress Wiki.

As for the general standards question, I would involve all experienced developers in the debate, not just impose them from on high - everybody has their style, and good and bad ideas.

Also, don't get lost in the detail - you'll want to keep the standards at a high a level as possible - eg. look-and-feel, architecture, and your aforementioned suggestions.

Noone will adhere willingly to 1000s of rules though.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
schappie,

writing explanations or api reference docs isn't always possible or practical
excluding special cases

sometimes it's as much work as writing the code, YMMV

most of time i'd prefer reading an organized, modular, well desgined program
instead of spaghetti code packed with comments

but i'm not trying to convert anyone, if you're anal about comments enjoy

bulklodd

Does anyone have any guidlines on how you define standards or a sample document of such BUT for Progress developers use not Oracle or C or .NET?

The guidelines are right here: http://resources.progresstalk.com/Documentation/Document%20Library/User%20Documentation/Progress%20Programming%20Standards.pdf

I use this document when developed our corporate standard. There're many tools which help you to keep your code according to your standard: prolint (http://prolint.org/) and becom (http://www.peg.com/utilities/becom.zip)

Version?????

Greetings,

Creating programming standards applicable to which version of Progress?
Standards change (evolve) with the different versions.
Eg, var names. Traditional methods were to use dashes and underscores eg i_cust_num Though with Progress OpenEdge 10 the style has changed. It is more the convention to mix case to make the names more readable, iCustNum.
Progress evolves therefore your question is VERY speculative.

mkontou

Of course, according to the Progress version you create the apropriate standards. And is not as simple as defining variables. From 8.2b to 9.1 for example, SDO where put in the picture. For me it was a major change and a big shock for the way I was implemenmting GUI applications. If one had standards for GUI development for 8.2b and considered update them for 9.1...well, it would not be an update but a whole new set of standards. I have not even seen the OE10 enviroment, but I can imagine....HUGE DIFFERENCE...

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
use prodatasets !

i'd also add that if you keep studying and staying uptodate
you'll also keep up with the "standards"

going back to a previous post

imo, a continuous learning program should be apart of any company
with people specializing in diff areas ( dba & os, gui, web, .net etc. )

and imo is the bigger answer / solution

The OpenEdge 10 ADE is not a HUGE difference from the V9 / ADM2 environment. Progress has maintained a consistencey since it entered the GUI arena. There is not a HUGE difference from V8 UIB + ADM(1).
Using the Progress OpenEdge ADE, there is NOT a huge difference from earlier GUI versions.

mkontou

That is good to know. Hopefully then, when we get upgraded to OE10 I will not find my self in a tunel, with no light, trying to figure out where to get out from. If you know what I mean :)

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
progress code is always backwards compatible

you can probably run dlc2 code on oe10 with out any major diff
tried it with progress v6 and oe10

one of the big diff is a service oriented architecture ( soa ) and prodatasets

Natasha@Remarc

Can anybody help?

My client are winners of the prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise in the Innovation category 2005 With their head office just outside Leeds, with an additional office in Southampton and subsidiaries in Scotland and Australia. They now employ over 100 people and were awarded the Investors in People standard in November 1998 and were successfully reviewed in August 2004. Also in the top 20 "The Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For 2005". With ongoing internal training programmes and quarterly company team-building/social events, My client boasts a happy, committed, and capable workforce. Due to expansion my they are recruiting an Analyst Programmer to work within the Development department reporting to the Development Manager. This is a full time development (programming) role working as part of an established team to discuss and resolve priority issues when they arise. The successful candidate will liaise with other areas of the business to provide help and information regarding queries about the software. A key role will be to diagnose and correct issues with the software - amending the program code accordingly, leading to new builds of software. Knowledge Skills & Experience *Educated to a degree level in a scientific /IT field *Minimum 18 months experience writing applications using Progress version 9 *Can demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the products in the Progress software family, including AppServer, DataServer, & Webspeed *Knowledge of integrating active-x controls and COM interfaces into a Progress environment *Excellent communication skills both verbally & written are a must . SALARY £26k

gcampbell

Wrong forum.

And for 26K and only 1 1/2 years of experience .... your better off getting someone brand new so go search in the Colleges.