Please Guide ME...

ksenthil

Hi all, i am new to this forum...and new to Software industries,
i am a fresher, now i got job and working with QAD's MFG/PRO
Normally i think ERP domain have Tecnical and Functional side..
of which can any one Guide me to pick the best for my Future..
thank you

allanm

Hi ksenthil,

Welcome to the software industry and the world of Progress.

QAD Mfg/Pro is an ERP system. ERP stands for Enterprise Resource Planning. ERP packages are large softwares usually consisting hundreds of thousands of programs. Most ERP softwares are generally capable of handling most (if not all) of a Company's operations from Purchasing right up to final Financial Reporting. This level of integration enables an ERP to be very helpful in planning business activities. Planning is therefore, a key capability of an ERP. One point to be noted is that, ERP being a general package (not customised for any particular company /industry), configuring it to ones business process is necessary. This is called mapping the business process in the ERP.

Functional people in ERP are generally people with actual business knowledge and can be non software professionals also. For eg., an experienced accountant will have excellent functional knowledge of Financial modules of ERP. Or a production planner can become an expert in Manufacturing Modules (of the ERP). It is the job of the functional consultant to understand business processes and map them into the ERP system. Generally functional consultants act as an interface between Technical consultants and the User.

On the other hand, technical persons are generally programmers who write the code and do activities associated with programming. This required understanding of programming and the underlying programming language that the ERP is made from.

If a person is capable of functional as well as technical roles he is called as a techno-functional .

Which path you take is totally dependent on your choice and your qualifications / experience.

Hope this information helps you.

Regards,
-Allan

ksenthil

Hi allan,
thank u for ur reply,
my graduation Major is Commerce and my Post graduation is MCA, please Guide me to which i should select either FUNCTIONAL or TECHNICAL,
in my company we have Development,Support,Enhancement and Implementation teams, of these which eill suit for my profile..
Thank you

allanm

Hi Senthil,

Choice is yours. Observe the work, speak to your colleagues, and take a decision. Besides, it also depends on the opportunity that your organisation is able to offer you. Also, sometimes people move from techincal to functional as they get more experienced.

-Allan

ksenthil

Hi allan,
Thank You for ur reply, Sure i will peak to Observe the work and speak to my colleagues...
Once again thank u for ur reply..

-Senthil