oracle is more better than porgress

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why do you say that. Progress is better in some situations, Oracle in others. It depends on what you want to do with it; as is always the case with software. The best one is the one that does the job you want at the lowest cost...

raviraju

dear cringer

but why nobody knows about "progress" even they do not know this name.why ? all are knows oracle
if i asked somebody about progress they answer me what is this "progress".what is this thing......

Cringer

Staff member
Re: dear cringer

Please keep to one thread.

Maybe that is their loss. Particularly as Oracle is expensive!!

raviraju

but you know

but you know costly means good quality............good brand.............not low brand........ low brand products..without any quality..

raviraju

but you know

but you know costly means good quality............good brand.............not low brand........ low brand products..without any quality..

RealHeavyDude

Re: but you know

Obviously you don't know anything about Progress - maybe you do know something about Oracle. But, you are comparing products, one of which at least you know nothing about and you are obviously not willing to learn anything about it seriously. If that's how you make your decision then there is nothing left form then to wish you good luck.

Plus - we are all volunteers here and we are willing to help if somebody has a problem or needs an advice. But, and I think that I speak for the most of us, we are not willing to teach basic knowledge for somebody that is not willing to read through the documentation or not taking an appropriate training.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

raviraju

dear heavy dude

look i know about progress too. but cringer not responsing well here.
i mean if i have some problem than he should help me.
he can not say like you are lazy and like that we are
here to help each other. but dear you responsing well
i am very thank full to yu. but please tell cringer that
not to type such things that makes somebody unhappy.
just give the good answer.
yours ravi

Cringer

Staff member
Re: dear heavy dude

Like I have posted elsewhere, if you have a problem with someone then take it up privately or report it to the administration. Do not hang your washing out in public.

Like I've posted elsewhere, I am happy to help you if you can show me that you know how to help yourself.

RealHeavyDude

You say that you know about Progress too. Don't get me wrong, but I seriously doubt that. The questions you were asking except the one about the eviction were so basic that I don't think you know much about Progress - or your knowledge dates back to an even more ancient, obsolete and unsupported version than Progress V9. I've met so many people telling me that they know all about Progress and nobody can't tell 'em nothing. At that point I just asked them why they are asking at all. In the end, when you don't know what the BI ( Oracle's equivalent would be the undo log ) or the AI ( Oracle's equivalent would be the redo log ) is, dear friend, then I say that you don't know anything about Progress database administration - as I would say about somebody claiming to know about Oracle that does not know what the undo or redo log is for.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
First, there are ways in which Progress is actually superior to Oracle. Transparent Data Encryption is a better and more performant approach to encryption than anyone else and the new Multi-tenant features are a first in the industry.

Second, for a large number of applications the database is a commodity, i.e., almost anyone's database is good enough. Choosing among them is not a question of features or even often performance as it is a question of price, stability, cost of ownership (maintenance, etc.) and other non-functional requirements.

Third, the primary reason for choosing a Progress DB is that one prefers doing development in ABL. There is no ABL equivalent for Oracle and, while one can use an Oracle or SQL Server DB with ABL via DataServers, one is clearly better off with a Progress DB unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Time to get better informed. What was the purpose of this thread, anyway?