Resolved OpenEdge Expoler Failed to Start on OE 11.3 Linux

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
Hi all

I've raised a support call to Progress Tech. Support and I'm currently waiting a response. Anybody else would like a to take an guess at what's going wrong???

This is fresh installation of OE11.3 is on a new VPS server running CentOS 6.4 64bit OS
The AdminServer starts OK, it's just the OE Explore which is failing to start. Could it something to do with being in a virtual server with virtual NIC??

The Hardware Address for the Virtual NIC (venet0:0) is:
HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

Here are the results from the ads0.exp file when I run proadsv -start as the root user.

Code:
====== Start exception logging == "ads0.exp" opened == Fri Aug 09 19:46:17 NZST 2013 ======

**** 1 ****

Exception at Fri Aug 09 19:46:17 NZST 2013: com.orientechnologies.orient.core.exception.ODatabaseException
  Message (throw): Error starting Fathom probe.
  Message (excp):  Error on opening database: /usr/oemgmt113/config/configdb. Current location is: /root/.
  Stack Trace:
[CODE]com.orientechnologies.orient.core.exception.ODatabaseException: Error on opening database: /usr/oemgmt113/config/configdb. Current location is: /root/.
  at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
  at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
  at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
  at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:525)
  at com.orientechnologies.common.log.OLogManager.error(OLogManager.java:119)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.engine.local.OEngineLocal.createStorage(OEngineLocal.java:47)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.Orient.loadStorage(Orient.java:158)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.db.raw.ODatabaseRaw.exists(ODatabaseRaw.java:209)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.db.ODatabaseWrapperAbstract.exists(ODatabaseWrapperAbstract.java:59)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.db.ODatabaseWrapperAbstract.exists(ODatabaseWrapperAbstract.java:59)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.AbstractDatabase.open(AbstractDatabase.java:169)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.Probe.loadProject(Probe.java:2249)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.Probe.createResources(Probe.java:1208)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.Probe.start(Probe.java:560)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.plugin.Fathom.start(Fathom.java:319)
  at com.progress.isq.ipqos.plugin.FathomPlugIn.run(FathomPlugIn.java:412)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.storage.impl.local.OTxSegment.<clinit>(OTxSegment.java:68)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.storage.impl.local.OStorageLocalTxExecuter.<init>(OStorageLocalTxExecuter.java:53)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.storage.impl.local.OStorageLocal.<init>(OStorageLocal.java:111)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.engine.local.OEngineLocal.createStorage(OEngineLocal.java:44)
  ... 12 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Node id is possible to generate only on machine which have at least one network interface with mac address.
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.util.OHostInfo.getMac(OHostInfo.java:48)
  at com.orientechnologies.orient.core.version.OVersionFactory.<clinit>(OVersionFactory.java:32)
  ... 16 more

Operating system CentOS Linux 6.4
Kernel and CPU Linux 2.6.18-028stab099.3 on x86_64
Processor information Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz, 4 cores

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Well, this line jumps out at me:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Node id is possible to generate only on machine which have at least one network interface with mac address.

Are you able to access this VM with other TCP services? What is your output from ifconfig?

Also, 2.6.18 seems like a very old kernel for CentOS 6.4. I'd expect you to be on 2.6.32-358. 2.6.18 was used with CentOS 5.x.

Cecil

I'm using a cloud service provider (not Amazon AWS), and I do believe that they lock down the kernel(s_ so they can guaranty it works correctly in a Virtual Environments.

I've requested from my VPS provider to give me instruction on changing the MAC/Hardware address to something a bit more realistic.

Here is the out from ifconfig:

Code:
# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:127896 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:127896 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:12585741 (12.0 MiB)  TX bytes:12585741 (12.0 MiB)

venet0    Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  P-t-P:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:5017038 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2829669 errors:0 dropped:23153 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:4250286191 (3.9 GiB)  TX bytes:246941497 (235.5 MiB)

venet0:0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          inet addr:111.xx.xx.xx  P-t-P:111.xx.xx.xx  Bcast:111.xx.xx.xx  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP BROADCAST POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Judging from the error message it looks like it's the fake MAC address (all zeros) that the Java code doesn't like.

Cecil

Are you able to access this VM with other TCP services?

Yes. I can SSH. HTTP/S etc. It's now becoming obvious it something to do with JAVA and how it calculates some sort of 'ID'. It can't handle the fact the MAC address is exclusively made up of just zeros.

Cecil

I have not heard any official word from PSC yet, I've found out more information about my VPS service. The VPS is hosted on Parallels Virtuozzo and I can't seam to change the MAC or Hardware Address of the Virtual NIC from within the Parallels Virtuozzo Container.

Also due to the nature of Parallels Virtuozzo, all the containers share the same Kernel. This would explain why the Linux Kernel 2.6.18-028stab099.3 version was so old.

I found only two other Progress KB articles and they where both related to MS Windows environments running within a Parallels Virtuozzo Container. May be I should ditch this VPS provider for another who runs VMware or Xen.

Cecil

I've been barking up the wrong tree. All this time I've been looking at a VPS solution and What I actual needed was a Cloud Server. I thought
there where the same thing and different service providers just marketed it differently. But the down-side it cost a lot more per month.

Cecil

OK, Solved. I've ditched the VPS provider for another one that is using XEN Virtualization on a dedicated server and all my problems went way. So a note for anyone it that OE 11.3 does not work on Parallels Virtuozzo where the Virtual Mac Address is all zeros.

This might be useful information for Apple Mac fanboy owners. Apple are currently doing a big sales push for Parallels Virtuozzo running on there Mac workstations and notebooks.