OpenEdge classroom edition

peteri883

Hi All,

I work in a software house that develops using openedge databases with a java front end and some 4gl batch processes in the backend. The main focus is on the Java development, my role is mainly supporting the legacy 4gl code. not much investment has gone into the 4gl side so to develop any thing I have to use textpad or piew to code then ftp onto unix box to check everything compiles. This as you can imagine is a bit of a pain.

My question is could I use the classroom edition installed on my work machine with a local empty copy of the data base so I could take advantage of all the architect features like syntax checking , keyword help and autocomplete with out violating the progress licence ? I suspect any request to get a full developer licence would fall on deaf ears as I am the only openedge dev and the long term plan is to phase out progress all together.

Cheers
Pete

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Here's the license agreement for Classroom Edition OpenEdge Classroom Edition License Agreement - Progress

You may use the Software and Program Materials solely for the purposes of designing, developing and testing Your OpenEdge-compatible software applications in a test environment, and for no other purpose. You may not deploy or use the Software and/or Program Materials in a production environment.

So you could code using it, but you'd still theoretically need to compile for deployment using a differently licensed package (so, as you are currently).