OpenEdge 10.0 AdminServer not alive

PJan8724

Hello all,

My company is planning on upgrading from Progress 9.1c to Openedge 10.0b.

I have a test OpenEdge 10.0 server that I've built. It's running Win 2003 with Service pack one and the latest Windows updates.

I'm having a problem getting the AdminServer Service up and running on my test server and need some help. I keep getting the following error message "AdminServer not alive. (8543)" when I run "proadsv -query". I can not start my database using the Progress Explorer Tool because the PET won't start to do the fact that it detects that the AdminServer is not running. I've searched the Progress Knowledge base on this topic only to find that the solutions listed don't work or don't apply. I've tried re-installing OpenEdge 10.0 to no avail and I;m considering rebuilding the test server with no service packs installed to see it that could be the problem. Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing the problem.

Thanks,

Pete J.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Aparently your adminserver isn't running. How do you start the adminserver, through services or with script? Is there also another version of progress running on the same machine?

What errors are there in the admserv.log?

Casper.

PJan8724

Hey Casey,

I have the AdminServer set to start automatically when the server is booted via windows services.

Yes there is another version of progress running on this machine. I have Progress 9.1c running on this server also since I still need to convert my 9.1c test db that I created of our production db over to 10.0. Also there were no errors with in the AdminServer Log and I can start the OpenEdge AdminServer manually but I still get the message that they AdminServer is not running. I am going to stop the service for the 9.1c version and see if that helps.

Pete J.

Casper

Staff member
What portnumbers do you use to start both services?
you have to qualify a portnumber to start, stop and query adminserver
like: proadsv -start -port 20831 (or some portnumber you started the adminserver with)
If you use other then default portnumber then you also have to set the right portnumber if you try to connect with Progress Explorer. (porperties tab advanced)

HTH,

Casper.

PJan8724

It looks like I'm using port 20931 which was the default port assigned when I installed OE 10.0. I believe that my 9.1c is also using that port from what I can tell. Is there anyway that I can change the starting port number with out re-installing OE or Prog 9.1c.

Thanks,

Pete J.

Casper

Staff member
Hi,

To start the adminservers automatically you have to modify the registry values for the start and stop of the adminserver (just tested this with 9.1D06 and 10.0B03 and it worked):

from KB 18918:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PSC\AdminService\(version_of_Progress)\StartupCmd

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PSC\AdminService\(version_of_Progress)\ShutdownCmd

the value of the keys end like this:
-DInstall.Dir=@{Startup\DLC} -DWork.Dir=@{WorkPath}
com.progress.chimera.adminserver.AdminServer <put here -port 20831 or some ohter portnumber> -start -service

If you're running 10.0B01 then you also have to change the adminportnumber (-adminport).
In higher versions the default portnumber for adminport changed so then there's no need to change that from default other then security reasons.

from KB P104080:

7835 is the default -adminport for any Progress 9 version below 9.1E
and OpenEdge 10 and 10.0B SP 01 (included)
7836 is the default -adminport for for Progress 9.1E01+
7837 is the default -adminport for for OpenEdge 10.0B02+
7838 is the default -adminport for for OpenEdge 10.1A

HTH,

Casper

P.S.
When you're no longer using the default listening and communication
ports, you need to specify the listening port that the AdminServer is
now running on when running command line utilities like proadsv;
wtbman; asbman; dbman; nsman.