Not able to compile code which updates the database.

rajendran

I am getting the below eror.
Error (490) running 4GL / ABL source code using a query version of Progress / OpenEdge
Error when compiling ABL/4GL program.
You may not compile programs that update the database in this version. (490)

As per Kb, it uses query license which wont allow compile query which updates the database.
But we have 4GL development system openedge enterprise rdbms and query/results installed.

Only my account was not able to compile the codes.

Pleas help me what could be the reason behind this.

RealHeavyDude

You could start by providing us with more information about the Progress/OpenEdge version and operating system you see this error.

If you're on Windoze then you could run the Config from the Progress/OpenEdge program group and post the result. On *nix enter showcfg on a proenv shell. This will tell which licenses you've installed.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

GregTomkins

There is a startup parameter eg. '-rg' that you can use to alter the type of Progress session for specific users (eg. give a user lower capability than the Progress installation otherwise allows). Perhaps your account is using this and everyone else is not?

http://documentation.progress.com/o... Parameter Reference/07dpsprch03use.46.2.html

Apart from that, as far as I understand, accounts don't have anything to do with it - either a particular Progress installation is licensed to compile, or it's not, and the answer is the same for all users. I think you can play tricks with license files but I'm not familiar with that and anyway, that would still affect the whole installation.

rajendran

hi RHD,
I have already checked showcfg.
It has 4GL development system,openedge enterprise rdbms,query/reuslts installed.

TheMadDBA

You have the -rq option in your startup.... that is to make the client support Results style only. Which means compile read only code.

You have to remove that to be able to compile programs that update data.

TheMadDBA

It isn't in your startup.pf (you can tell by the screen shot you supplied. Everything after the (end .pf) is in the script that you are launching. That will have to be edited or you will have to use another script that doesn't include that parameter.