new learner

southerncomfort

Hi all
I want to get into programming and have an opportunity to train using progress. I have no programming or database experience and my last formal I.T training was 10 years ago and i havent been in I.T since. Now this opportunity has come along to start a career again but I'm worried I may be biting off more than i can chew. Is it relatively easy to learn just with the tutorials given i have no programming experience or is there any other training or languages i should take to help me along? I would appreciate any advice.

Jupiter

My experience is that Progress Technology is easy to start with. And like all other technologies there are challenges when you go deeper.

Concepts of programming is a different topic. That is a common base what you need when you try to do some coding. Whether it'll be easy for you will depend on how fast you can grasp basic programming and database concepts.

Good Luck!

lord_icon

Progress 4GL is an excellent language for beginners. Comparisons are with Visual BASIC as a development language. The advantages to the Progress ADE is the ability to encapsulate a database without the need to ODBC. Making it a perfect development language for beginners eliminating the 3rd party requirements.

Jupiter

Hi,

For understanding the basic programming and Data Structures, C is the best choice I think and for OO concepts C++. That gives one a solid base. When you change language later, you just need to learn the syntax of the language.

When working in Progress 4GL and ABL I enjoyed its speed and simplicity. But I still owe much to C and C++ for understanding of the basics.

For understanding RDBMS if one gets a chance to start with Oracle, he can grasp any other RDBMS.

However, these are my personal opinions.

southerncomfort

Thank you for the response guys. I have accepted the position and i'm reading through the tutorials now. Its not as duanting as i was expecting.
Thanks again.