Netsetup on Windows 7

amalsp

[SOLVED]Netsetup on Windows 7

Hi,

I was using Windows 7 RC and netsetup for progress 8.3e worked fine on it. Since I had been using it for time I decided to install Windows 7 RTM. Now I find that netsetup is not compatible with windows 7 RTM whereas it used to work with the RC version.

If anybody has a solution for this I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Amal

RealHeavyDude

Hello amalsp,

Progress V8 is more the 15 years old and was orignally designed to run on Windoze 95. Therefore it is more than likely that something of it won't work on Windows 7. Please be aware that whatever you do to work around the problem might be okay for a playground, _BUT_ sind Progress V8 is so ancient that it won't be supported from Progress you should never, never, never, never, never, never, never ... never rely on such things in a production environment ...

Pls, don't get mad at me, but I don't think it is reasonable to be angry because a 15 year old software product is not running or has installation problems on the latest fancy OS stuff from Mircosoft.

Just my opinion,
RealHeavyDude.

amalsp

Hi There,

Thanks for your comments. It might be 15 years old and it has its limitations. But for what we require it for it works well. We use it on XP machines and there are no issues. It also worked well on Windows 7 RC. That is why I asked the question in the first place. We are looking at phasing out Progress and that is the reason we have not upgraded.

I am nowhere near in getting mad or angry. Just would like to get an idea why it would work on RC and not on RTM. I like Windows 7. I suppose the question would have been better at a windows 7 forum. But I though someone might have tried it here.

Anyway thanks again and back to some more tests for me, and if that fails back to XP.

Regards

Amal

RealHeavyDude

High,

Clicking on the thumbnail just makes my IE6 freak. I know IE6 sucks but - as restrictive as the environment is in which I am working currently I don't have a chance to install anything on the machine I am working on. By the way, I am even not able to enable the Debugger as I have no write permissiong on the C drive where the OE studio is installed :( and the powers that be at Progress have decided _NOT_ to put the according settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER :mad:, but that is another story.

I'll give it another try when I am at home with my beloved Firefox :)

Regards,
RealHeavyDude.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I am thinking under Windows 7 (not the home edition) that there is a feature to "Run under the Windows XP compatibility" setting, is this possible to try?

amalsp

Hi There,

Please don't get mad at me for this. It was the 64 bit version Windows that was causing the error. Even though it should be possible to run 32bit programs in a 64 bit OS, netsetup refused to run. But it suddenly occurred to me to try the 32bit version and now it happily runs in Windows 7 32bit. My apologies if I created an issue out of a minor matter.

Regards

Amal

RealHeavyDude

I can only speak for me, but you're welcome.

Having pinned down the issue to the 64Bit version of Windows 7 might valuable information for others.

Best regards,
RealHeavyDude.