Major version change: convert vs. D&L

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
For those of you who have been through a few major version changes, I'm interested to know if you have a preference for how you move your databases to the next version.

Do you just run the proutil conv(n)(n+1), or do you dump and load into a DB created with the new version?

Do you treat all DBs the same (prod/QA/dev/test/etc.), or do you do something different for production DBs?

Are there "gotchas" you've experienced in the past that I should be wary of? (Aside from the usual due caution; taking backups and so forth.)

Based on some brief testing it appears I do not have to run proutil updateschema and proutil updatevst after a conversion. Correct?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I think you only need to run the upd* options if the conversion spans versions where there are changes.

Every case is different but I tend to do a conversion, recompile, let things settle and then do a dump & load to make whatever changes are needed to leverage the new stuff. I likewise wait a little while before introducing new parameters.

That way any code and language types of issues are more clearly separated from any issues related to database features and capabilities.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Thanks Tom. My thoughts were specifically around moving from 10.2B to 11.x. There are some new schema tables and some DB changes.

cj_brandt

we run the conv910 script to upgrade db. Then at a point down the road, a dump and load is performed to take advantage of new features.
8 to 9 we implemented new Storage Areas.
9 to 10 was Type II SA.