"Locked" users

Steve Kuchta

Hi,

We are running Progress91D with Vantage 6.5. Lately users have become "locked" into our system (mostly by ignoring errors and repeatedly hitting the enter key). I think it is because our database is approaching the 2GB barrier. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Steve Kuchta

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What "2GB barrier" are you referring to?

What do you mean by "locked"?

What is the nature of the errors that are being ignored? Do they have error numbers and text associated with them?

Just guessing but I'm thinking that you mean that things have gotten very slow and that users feel like nothing is happening so they say that they are "locked". Going even farther out on a limb I'll guess that this is a small system running on a windows box and that it has had next to no administration, tuning or management as it has grown. How am I doing? If that is anywhere near the mark then there are several paths forward:

1) Ask lots of questions in online forums and try to come up to speed on being a Progress DBA. Pro: low upfront cost. Con: takes a long time. But you'll have lots of company.

2) Go to a Progress DBA training class. Pro: much faster ramp-up. Con: costs money and you'll still have lots of gaps.

3) Hire a consultant. Pro: fast and effective and you don't have to learn anything much. Con: pricey.