Last open date mismatch - Catch 22

pinne65

Running OpenEdge Release 10.1B03 on AIX 5.3.

I'm trying to dump a table from the database that was previously restored with the AIX restore command:

/home/progress/dlc/bin/_proutil /home/progress/APP/appdb -C dump apptable /home/mydir

So I get:
--------
Last open date mismatch. (9215)
Extent /data/appdata/apptable.d1 has a different last opened date Mon Jan 19 21:15:00 2009, (9213)
Control Area has a last open date of Mon Jan 19 22:15:04 2009. (9217)
Probable backup/restore error. (605)
Database is damaged, see documentation. (1486)

And try:
--------
prostrct unlock /home/progress/APP/appdb

And get:
--------
PROSTRCT UNLOCK has been specified. (10548)
Use of the UNLOCK qualifier causes database recovery to be skipped. (10550)
This leaves the database in an unknown state, considered damaged. (6262)
Are you sure you want to skip crash recovery? (Y/N) (6263)
WARNING: If you are not sure, CALL Progress Software Technical Support. (10549)
Y
Access to database /home/progress/APP/appdb not allowed. The database is enabled for site replication but either replication is not running, or this process is not authorized to open a replication enabled database. (10356)

So I try:
--------
/home/progress/bin/rfutil /home/progress/APP/appdata -C aimage aioff

And get:
--------
OpenEdge Release 10.1B03 as of Fri Nov 2 22:54:54 EDT 2007
Last open date mismatch. (9215)
Extent /data/appdata/appdb.d1 has a different last opened date Mon Jan 19 21:15:00 2009, (9213)
Control Area has a last open date of Mon Jan 19 22:15:04 2009. (9217)
Probable backup/restore error. (605)
Database is damaged, see documentation. (1486)

AGAIN!?!?!? I'm stuck

Yes, the database was restored from an OS backup. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It was down at the time of the backup.

AnYoNE aNy idEAs - i'D sure appreciate it, TIA!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, the database was restored from an OS backup. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Given that the database was backed up with OS utilities and the timestamps on the two components are different, my bet is that you backed up a running database. I.e., your backup is pretty much worthless.

pinne65

It's shut down using the command

_mprshut /home/progress/APP/appdb -by

Is it possible that the shut down process does not finish untill the OS backup starts?
progress.gif

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Does one dare ask if you have tested this backup process?

And, if you have a replicate, what are you going to the backup for?

To know the answer to your question about the shutdown, we might have to know something about the script or structure. Yes, shutdowns sometimes take longer to complete than expected ... they can even hang up altogether. Having the backup start before the shutdown finished would be a very good reason to see what you are seeing.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I haven't ever tried it but I don't think you can backup a replicated db that way. You should be using probkup with either the online or the norecover options.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Being conservative, my recommendation is to *always* use a probkup, even if it is to disk and then use the OS commands on the backup image.

pinne65

This would be the first time the backup is tested since we started using replication.

The replication takes place over a WAN and the box where the database is restored is closer to the tape station than to the replica.

So is it the fact that the database is replicated that makes the OS backup not work. And using probkup would fix that?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Like I said, I haven't actually tried it. But... in general an OS backup is unaware of the details of a Progress database. On top of that a db which has been enabled for replication is being specially managed by OE Replication and cannot just be copied and used. I believe that you not only have to shut it down but that you may also have to disable replication in order to get a good copy at the OS level. But, again, I haven't tried it - I use probkup to do such things.

Probkup knows about all of the parts of the db and is designed to work with Progress databases in their various states. As previously mentioned the "online" and "norecover" options are probably most relevant to what you're trying to do. As Thomas mentioned doing a probkup to disk and then using OS utilities to move it where you want it is also an option.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I might note that, depending on your archival media, probkup to disk is very fast and one can do the move to tape or whatever in off hours, thus greatly reducing the impact of the backup on production.