How to connect Progress database to Informatica?

Arunselvan

Hi all,

I want to do ETL from progress 9.1E to Oracle 10g using informatica 9.0.1. I dont know how to connect progress with informatica.

Please give me some solutions.

Regards,
Arun

RealHeavyDude

What is ETL? Furthermore I don't have any glue what informatica is.

Progress 9.1e is Stone Age software. I dates back to the end of the last century so don't expect it to work reasonably well with modern day software.

If ... if informatica is an ABL application then you should be able to use the Oracle data server to connect an Oracle database. Here you would find the product availability guide but the link for Progress 9 is broken for me.

https://community.progress.com/tech...ifecycle-and-platform-availability-guide.aspx

If the informatica is not an ABL application it could use ODBC/JDCB to connect to the Progress 9.1e database.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
ETL = Extract, Transform and Load. Basically dump data from Progress and load it into Oracle. Informatica sells tools and services to facilitate such things. They probably want to connect to Progress via ODBC.

Version 9 is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I'm guessing if they're trying to Dump and Load from Progress into Oracle then there's a good chance they are doing away with Progress altogether so the obsolete point is moot. :(

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
ETL processes are generally part of a datawarehouse extract. It is all quite routine and does not indicate any movement away from Progress. In fact it is probably a good sign -- it tends to mean that the Progress system is an entrenched "system of record" and is unlikely to change anytime soon. Otherwise they probably wouldn't bother.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The point about obsolescence is still very relevant. For one thing the extract will almost certainly perform *much* better with modern SQL drivers and type 2 storage areas.

RealHeavyDude

Thanks - now I know what ETL stands for. It just amazes me how confident people use acronyms expecting that everybody else naturally must know them.

Arunselvan

The point about obsolescence is still very relevant. For one thing the extract will almost certainly perform *much* better with modern SQL drivers and type 2 storage areas.
Hi Tom,

I have established ODBC connectivity. But I need to configure .dll file of progress inside informatica configuration file.

Could you please tell me which is the exact .DLL file of progress for ODBC connectivity. And if it is not possible with progres 9.1E, then please tell me for OPENEDGE 11.3. I am using OPENEDGE 11.3 in my home computer. I will try to accomplish in my home with 11.3.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I have no idea which DLL it is. That is also a *very* strange requirement. You should not need to know that in order to connect.

RealHeavyDude

To my understanding, usually you define an ODBC data source on the OS level in Windows in the ODBC Data Source Administrator. Any decent software should pick it up from there by letting you specify the corresponding definition ( User, System or File DSN ) that includes the ODBC driver. I've never seen any software to requiere the specification of a dll file directly.

P.S. - the ODBC drivers come with the installation only when you choose a full installation or you manually select them. A typical installation won't install them.