Resolved How To Capture Special Keyboard Event, Anywhere.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
This sounds such a NOOB question, but can you have keyboard event to fire anywhere in the main Window screen.

ON "ALT-CTRL-P" ANYWHERE DO:

RUN foobar.w.

END.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Yes you can. In fact, unless the event is overridden in other screens you can have the event handled by the parent screen for all sub windows. We use these global hotkeys quite a lot in our system.

Cecil

Thanks, Cringer. This is useful info.
I'm working on a project that uses a very special camera device which makes use of a virtual keyboard wedge. I want to capture all the incoming data from the keyboard buffer. The virtual keyboard wedge software sends SPECIAL KEY COMMANDS i.e. "ALT-CTRL-P" at the start of a camera scan followed by the needed data from the keyboard buffer

The only concern that I have at this time, is the time it takes to register the first special key command ("ALT-CTRL-P") and my code acting on this trigger. The trigger could be run running some code creating a blocking process and causing the code to not handle the remaining keystrokes.
This reason for my concern is that I've read that ABL can only handle a maximum 16 characters keyboard buffer when you have a keyboard buffer overflow ( type-ahead characters) scenario and I don't want to miss any keystrokes.

I have not started cutting any code yet. Not until I get my dirty hands on this special camera and none of this might even be a problem and I could be worrying about nothing.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like ProEvents.UI.Char client logging will help you there. It logs all non-printable keyboard events as they are pushed and popped from the event stack.

Cecil

Wrote the code today. Had no problems with keyboard buffer issues. Thanks for your input Cringer.