How to backup

so to state the obvious, an after image is like a transaction log.

I think I will look into that after I have the backups created.

I am changing the environment variables just now, I entered %DLC%\Bin to Path in my computer. However I do not know what the other bit is or what to do about it?

I have a c:\DLC folder and I typed set c:\DLC into cmd prompt but I do not know what to expect. My .bat file still isnt running via command prompt because it doesnt recognise the commands.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Post your actual BAT file -- it can't be all that long ;)

(Wrap CODE tags around it so that we can read it. Use the "#" icon in the edit window...)

<
set DLC=C:\DLC
cd: c:\
proshut c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka.db -by
probkup c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka.db c:\backups\eureka.db -com
proserve c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka.db -pf c:\eureka\eureka 2007\info\eureka.pf
pause>

At the minute I cannot guarantee the pf file is correct. I have been testing it by replacing demo...however since I am having a problem with command prompt not knowing what to do with proshut, proserver etc I am not too worried...once I can get the .bat to run with proenv.

At least I am learning.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Someone should be shot for embedding spaces in those path names.

Try this:
Code:
set PATH=%PATH%;%DLC%\bin

cd: c:\

call proshut "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -by
call probkup "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" c:\backups\eureka.pbk -com
call proserve "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -pf "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\info\eureka.pf"
pause

Hi

I tried that on a demo backup and the results failed, the 2 set commands gave no results - thats as expected.

However the simple "cd c:\" came up with an incorrect spelling, syntax error. The probkup was still not recognised. I check the c:\DLC\bin file and it does contain the functions I am using.

Yeah I corrected that myself. That bit is fine, it is now just the calls of probkup that is failing again.It must be something to do with the first line...I think the environment variable is fine now.

What is it expecting in set DLC c:\DLC

If I ever move to America and need IT support in NH ill be sure to look you up. I live close to where the Titanic was built(relatively) so the name White Star rings a bell.

LarryD

I'm trying to remember from the olden days... cannot remember if you need to add the .bat or making it fully qualified. You might want to try this:
Code:

cd c:\

call %DLC%\bin\proshut.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -by
call %DLC%\bin\probkup.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" c:\backups\eureka.pbk -com
call %DLC%\bin\proserve.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -pf "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\info\eureka.pf"
pause
You may also want to consider redirecting output to a log file

e.g.

Code:

cd c:\

echo %date% %time% >> c:\backup.log

call %DLC%\bin\proshut.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -by >> c:\backup.log
call %DLC%\bin\probkup.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" c:\backups\eureka.pbk -com 
>> c:\backup.log
call %DLC%\bin\proserve.bat "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka" -pf "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\info\eureka.pf" 
>> c:\backup.log
pause
Not sure if the %DLC%\bin\ is really needed...

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I've actually tested this script on my own system and it works ;)

You don't need the .bat.

You need the Progress executables to be in the PATH. The DLC variable is required by Progress and must point to where Progress is installed, the bin sub-directory of DLC is where the executables should have been installed. So by setting DLC and then referring to DLC/bin in the PATH you ensure that everything can be found.

Is it possible that c:\dlc is NOT where Progress is installed? What are the contents of that directory?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If I ever move to America and need IT support in NH ill be sure to look you up. I live close to where the Titanic was built(relatively) so the name White Star rings a bell.

We do work all over the world. Remotely or on site. In fact it is unusual to do anything local. I'll be in Europe in November if you're interested in setting something up :)

We also happen to have a very good trainer based in the UK.

LarryD

Tom, that's what I get for posting from memory without trying it! ;-)

Also, doesn't OE10 default Windows install in a directory called C:\OpenEdge? or C:\Progess?

Hi again.

I made the demo database live then tested my .bat file and it worked - thanks.

I need now need to organise a time to test the backup - probably 10pm one night. Just hope it restarts OK after the backup.

Thanks for all your help.

One curious question - when I try to do an "online" backup I keep getting the "database is in multi-user mode"

StuartT

Hi again.

I made the demo database live then tested my .bat file and it worked - thanks.

I need now need to organise a time to test the backup - probably 10pm one night. Just hope it restarts OK after the backup.

Thanks for all your help.

If I were you I would start a server on your demo DB then test your .bat file through the scheduler at a time that you will be in the office.
That way you can make sure that the script when run through the scheduler performs the shutdown, backup and startup correctly.
If that test is successful then edit your .bat to point to the live DB and schedule it accordingly (there should be no problems as you have already tested the process albeit on a different db at a different time but the process is identical)

Will do.

I am still concerned about the .pf file when restarting the live database. At the minute I am not certain which one is the correct file....i am contacting eureka to ask.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
One curious question - when I try to do an "online" backup I keep getting the "database is in multi-user mode"

Are you perhaps getting confused about which is which?

You would get that message if probkup lacks the "online" qualifier and if the database is up -- thus making it an attempt to take an offline backup of an online database.

You might also get that message if you try to start a server and the db is already running -- for instance if you did an online backup followed by a proserve.

I just checked by simply running through proenv and it comes up with the error "no server found for database ..."

Is there something I can do to check the file location of the live database?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You need to show what commands you ran in detail in order for us to make any sense out of what you are reporting.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Is there a file named "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\eureka.lk"?

If there is not then the error message is correct.

If there is then it is telling you that the server was started with some other pathname (Progress can be finicky about the exact and complete spelling of the path...) In that case probably the server was started by first cd'ing to "c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db". So to back it up you would also have to do that and then refer to it as simply "eureka". (Of course it could also be relative to any partial path -- but it is usually at one end or the other...)