Help a newbie please...

ProgressNewbie

Hi all,
I m a Network Admin, not database admin and have no clue on progress or syteline database. Recently, the company decided to let the database admin go and told me to learn as much as i can to support a database side.:biggrin:
Today, i received the request to modify a user permission and i look every where and could not find where i can add, remove or modify user permission. Please help.
Syteline 5.02; Progress 9.1.

Thanks,

RealHeavyDude

The development tool include a data administration tool which lets you edit the user list under the security menu. But, Progress differs from SQL databases in that it employs a revoke philosophy whereas most SQL databases employ a grant philosophy. That means, it is not mandatory that the user accounts are maintained in the database's _User table. All the security can be implemented in application specific tables without ever having to touch the distinct Progress tables.

You need to know how the security is implemented in your application, whether is uses the built-in _User table to authenticate users against the database or whether it uses application specific tables. Don't know how the database security is implemented in Styline. I would post the question in the respective forum.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
User permissions such as RHD is talking about are pretty basic. Chances are that this is related to user permissions in Syteline rather than the Progress admin so you might ask the question on the Syteline forum lower on the page.