Future Of Progress Rdbms/4gl

amit_goyal_ims

Hello everybody,

I have just joined as Trainee in India at PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL platform. I have started working on this platform but I am not sure about its future especially in INDIA. Can any user of it assist me. Should I leave this platform? How is it better than other RDBMS? What is the market of PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL

Ali Baba

Future of Progress DB & 4GL

For your info, Progress is N°1 in embedded DB according to IDC... You are on the right track.

amit_goyal_ims

Future Of Progress

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your response. Sir, if you have some information about Institutes/Companies using PROGRESS RDBMS/4GL in INDIA or Abroad. From your profile it seems you are from Belgium. What is its scope there? I am looking for your response.

Thanks

Amit Goyal

jongpau

If you go to http://www.progress.com and then click "Solutions -> All Solutions -> Global Solutions Directory" I am sure you will be able to find all you ever wanted to know about who makes what application etc....

Ali Baba

Hello Amit, I don't know anything from India (unfortunately) but in Belgium & the Netherlands, Progress Software occupies about 100 people + about 100 people at HQ level. We have small companies as well as Governments that use the Progress technologies or based-on-Progress partner's applications. Progress is still expanding it's market and companies that tried Progress products want to keep on doing business with Progress. Can you tell more about what you are doing with Progress 4GL in India? Working for a big company? Doind business with Europe? Regards, Ali Baba

rjilis

Hello
I'm a tunisian DBA/Developper Progress since 7 Years and i find Progress as AppBuilder or RDBMS more interresting and more simple to work with than ORACLE or SQL Server
i have administrated Oracle and Sql Server database with the same rate as PROGRESS but really i love working with PROGRESS. I think with time it will the most famous RDBMS over all others

Ach

Amit:

Mafatlal used Progress based ERP and many others in India. I am in US and know a ton of Progress Programmers who came here from India.

VKKN

In India, it's openig-up pretty wide, especially with many MNCs parking their support centres here. I am with it for the past 8 yrs Progress DBA, pretty comfortably placed. To name a few Orgs... Ocwen, Capco, FCI, Pantaloons, Wipro, TCS and many more.

Thought, your future is bright. Learn more about WEBSpeed.

Diogo Melo

1st message

Hi,

I just joined progresstalk.com! I believe Progress is a very good language to work in and it still as a long way to go. I think there's only one thing against it - PRICE. The licences are very expensive, and with these prices is very difficult to develop for smaller companies, or to create small/medium size programs to everyday use.

Other then that, it’s a powerful tool. I manage an IT company that works specially with industry, and the response is great.

See you around!

anuj12

Hi Amit

Am the biggest recruiter for Progress in india. You have a great future in it. I am working in it only from the last one decade and always have lot of reqs from my several MNC and Top IT companies of India.

This is true that progress is not known to many people, but you are lucky that you are part of it. You will see the result in 1-2 yrs.

Thanks
Anuj Mittal
Sr progress recruiter
Email: anuj@microsystemstec.com

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Just curious ...

How big is Progress over there ? customers, projects on their way, developers etc.

I know about PSI ( Progress Software India ) but isn't it relatively small time, around a couple or more million dollar operation ?

anuj12

There are around 15-20 end user/manufacturing companies who are using progress and progress based erp/mrp. Same # of sw/IT companies are working on this for their end clients in other countries and within india. I can't tell the exact # of progress peoples in india, but it is suppose to be in thousands. Almost each top IT companies and many sw mnc is having progress staff. You will find lot of indian peoples from this tech. in US, Europe, Asia pacific countries. Each resource is getting good salary and other perks.

lord_icon

Obviousley PSC is not that big over in India. The Progress RdbMs / 4GL WAS a good product. Other replies have not iterated that we all accept AND love the product, it has now disappeared. The future is bright, the future is OpenEdge. PSC encapsulated the product initially with Progress OpenEdge 10.0, now PSC have released it in it's own right. OpenEdge 10.1 is available AND the way ahead. Redundant is the AppBuilder method, which originated from V8 User Interface Builder. The huge expansion of PSC has resulted in the OpenEdge Architect, to realize the business IT direction of the organization.

The Progress RdbMs / 4GL WAS a good product. ... it has now disappeared.

No.

As has been pointed out to you several times, a new version (Progress Version 10) has been released, with a rebranding 'OpenEdge'/'ABL'.

It's still Progress RDBMS/4GL, but enhanced with a different name.

But you are right, a lot of the OpenEdge (Progress Version 10) enhancements are very positive, and things certainly look brighter than they did a few years ago.

I am a Progress Developer for the past several years and I have worked in India & US. Progress was an unheard tool when I started my career but now it has gained more popularity eventhough you may still find a lot of companies asking "Progress - what ?" . I believe, Progress is mainly known in India thru sale of MfgPro and also thru some software development companies. To my knowledge as of today NIIT is the distributor for Progress and companies like TSPL, ITTI etc add some contribution by sale of MfgPro.

Except for some customization work in MfgPro, most of the software development requirements done in India are for clients in US, UK and other parts of Europe and other countries.

In my view, I never had to regret till date taking up Progress as a carrer. That way, I would consider myself quite happy with the carrer opportunities with Progress.

mateenpopatia

Hii..Need your help!!!

Hi Amit,I am also from India, staying in Mumbai..I am looking for a job in progress 4GL..same as you are working in..I can join as a trainee too.. Do you have any openings in you company? Can you also send me your email id or any other means of contact information which will make it easier to speak to you.Regards,Mateen.

wsong

To be frank, I think it is always some sort of a gamble when you bet on the techology. Oracle and sql svr is more popular in the market, that also means there is more competition. I am a progress programmer and I am also working on Abap for SAP. My feeling is you can sometimes get much higher rate on progress just because the resource is scarce.

When is last time you are talking about Cobol and RPG or S380 ? I know some guys are very happy with their career with Cobol and RPG, they never worried about their future.

I think best way is to strike a balance between popularity and monopoly.

That is right the future of Progress 4GL is DEAD which is why the development tool /ADE is now unheard of.
The future is bright the future is OpenEdge ABL advanced business application
Move with the times and the product. No longer programming, arcitect advanced business logic / applications