Question Extended Ascii Characters

Greetings Everyone! I am using OpenEdge 11.3.1, I have a problem on displaying the extended ASCII characters using CHR() function. Please help me masters how to deal with it.

1. which problem?
  2. which character codes?
  3. what type of client (gui / tty / web)?
  4. which code-pages are you using?

My Problem Master Stefan is, when I use the extended ASCII extended characters, it wont display , by the way I am using tty for my client. for example I want to display a full box in my PUTTY instead it displays character "A". Please help me Master Stefan, Thank you.

Stefan

Not sure why you are showing a gui procedure editor. But assuming that your output is from your tty session - what's the problem? The dialog box, which also uses box /line drawing characters is shown just fine.

This picture below Master is the extended ASCII Codes.
upload_2016-12-13_15-35-58.png
My problem Master Stefan is when I want to display the full Box which code is 219, example
chr(219). Instead of full box it displays "Ã" in my PUTTY. That is my problem Master, can you
help me why?, Thank you Master Stefan.

LarryD

If you are connecting to *nix, you can try this (add it to your .profile or just execute it before you get into Progress):

export LC_ALL=C

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Among other things your PuTTY settings need to match the codepage that Progress thinks you are using which needs to match the codepage with the extended characters that you are trying to draw. If any of these do not match then you get undefined results.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress use various code pages -- but your output device can only use one code page at a time. If you are required to use a code page that does not support the desired output glyph then, no, there is no way to output the box that you want.

It is sort of like trying to print colored output on a printer that only has black toner. You can send color selection control codes all day long but if your boss refuses to buy colored toner you will only see black output.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Depending on the need, you could move to an extended code page like UTF-8 that is more likely to have a superset of the characters you want, but that is a non-trivial commitment. So, you need to ask yourself why you need any particular character and how important is it to the application. If you are trying to store names in a language where accents are important, then those characters are pretty important. If you are just trying to make a ChUI screen slightly more appealing, then I would think twice.

Progress use various code pages -- but your output device can only use one code page at a time. If you are required to use a code page that does not support the desired output glyph then, no, there is no way to output the box that you want.

It is sort of like trying to print colored output on a printer that only has black toner. You can send color selection control codes all day long but if your boss refuses to buy colored toner you will only see black output.

Thank you Master TomBascom for your help.