Excel ActiveX ADO 2.8 and Open Edge 10.2B driver problem

joep

Hi, I'm really having a problem and hope somebody here can find me a fix or workaround. I've gotten a lot of good information from this board but this situation doesn't seem to be addressed.

My issue:
I have a third party ERP that runs on Progress 9.1E. I use Excel and VBA(Using Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects library 2.8 to access the database for a lot of functions, like reports and making changes. It all works fine, with better performance than running a Crystal report. Side note: I also use Crystal and a couple of php programs to access the DB and it's all good.

Recently, we've been testing a new version of the ERP software that runs on Progress/OpenEdge 10.2B. Crystal works fine, so does the php scripts and I can even access the DB to import to Excel using Microsoft Query. However, when I run this script (sample code, works on 9.1E)
Code:
Dim sql As String
Dim rsItems As Recordset
Dim cnProgress As New Connection
cnProgress.Open "DSN=Lev5NEW;HOST=10.0.0.15;PORT=52517;DB=Lev5;UID=root;PWD=''"
Set rsItems = New Recordset
sql = "SELECT ""it"".""item#"" FROM PUB.""i-mst"" ""it""  WHERE ""it"".""i-status""='W'"
rsItems.Open sql, cnProgress
I get this error message with the 10.2B driver on the cnProgress.open statement:
Run-time error '-2147467250 (80004005)'
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Optional feature not implemented.

The same message results in Excel 2007 and Excel 2010

My ERP vendor and I are going crazy trying to figure this out. Please help.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I know this error happens when you enter the wrong user credentials. (e.g. if authentication fails). Are you sure the user/password are correct?

Regards,
Casper.

joep

Thanks for answering Casper. Yes in my travels I've seen that. Unfortunately I'm sure of the user and password.

joep

I was messing around last night and found that ADO 6.0 works fine. Only problem is it's only for Vista and above (comes with the OS). I guess I'll have to get me a new computer at work. :)