Evaluation of time...

KubiaK

Hi all,

How much time (in days) would you think be necessary and acceptable (for someone who is used to version 8 developement and knows nothing about V9) to build a little web-enabled application using AppServer and WebClient ? (eg : letting end-users be able to browse a list of the sports database's customers).

Thanx for your help !

KubiaK

1 day to understand how to configure the AppServer, to set up a Web Server and to set up a deployment with the bootstrap method ?!

If nothing is configured at all, let's say 2 days in total...

Appserver configuration course is 2 days, and can be given in actually 1 day... In that course, there is also some explanation of SDO,...

KubiaK

And without course, considering you have to discover all by yourself, it should take a lot of time, no ?

V9 isn't easy to understand, especially the adm2; but there is some good documentation on the net : URL=http://www.progress.com/v9/documentation/start.htm]www.progress.com/v9/documentation/start.htm[/URL]

I would advice you however, to follow some course, or to get a copy of some courses, so you have at least some documentation...

In V8, did you use SO, or did you do plain programming ?

To make some simple query with SO; to configure appserver; and to do some customisation where necessary; and to integrate the demand as an example of a course; and if you can work 2 days full-time on it, with internet access (progresstalk or so :awink: ); I'm sure it will work fine...

KubiaK

Are you such a Radiohead's fan to be so optimistic ? :D

I suppose that when you know how to do it, it should take no more than two days, but I also want to understand what i'm doing so i also have to study documentations !

Nobody else to bring another point of vue ?

MurrayH

If you really want to understand what is happening I'd say 2 weeks. It tooks us about 2 person weeks of effort to understand the WebClient in the very first beta and we knew the AppServer inside out. There you go, thats the truth.

Murray

KubiaK

At least x2 as english is not my native language and as i have to document my work :)

Thanks for these answers

Kub