Error with Progress

error.JPG

Good morning,

I have converted version 9.1E to OpenEdge 10. I tried to run an application and I am getting the error that's in the attached image.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be related to?

Regards,
Renee

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You need to recompile. The code has been compiled in v9 and needs to be compiled in v10.

I previously compiled all application files and got the same error. I compiled again and I am still getting the same error.

I compiled that particular file and I am getting the error in the image.

Would I have to contact the vendor of the application or is this Progress related?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you are still getting the "invalid version" error then you are still trying to run the wrong r-code.

There are many possible reasons. Some that spring to mind:

1) You missed something. Maybe because your PROPATH points to a directory that you have overlooked.
2) Perhaps there is a prolib being used?
3) It is still cached. Are you running your session with -q active?
4) Perhaps you compiled without the "save" option?
5) Perhaps there was a compile error that you have overlooked?

Can you find "splash.r"??? What is the time-stamp on the file?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Somewhere in your code you are doing something with the ENTRY() function on a list that has fewer elements than expected. For instance:

Code:
DISPLAY ENTRY( 17, "" ).

The "17" may, of course, be a value in a variable. The target list could also be a variable. It is possible that one or both are invalid.

To find out what code is responsible you could use the debugger or you could turn on "-logentrytypes 4GLTrace".

Hi Tom,

I didn't write the code for this application, so I may have to pass this onto the vendor to review. My role in this project was to convert 9.1E database to OpenEdge 10 so all this stuff is foreign to me.

Btw, how would turn on -logentrytypes 4GLTrace?

Cringer

Staff member
Slight tangent - what does this give you that -debugalert doesn't?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
-debugalert doesn't work on non-GUI platforms, thus I pay no attention to it. -logentrytypes works on all platforms.

Stefan

-debugalert doesn't work on non-GUI platforms, thus I pay no attention to it. -logentrytypes works on all platforms.

It provides a fine stack trace (this is with 10.2Bx64 on CentOS):

debugalert.png

Wow... and when executed from a Linux desktop the debugger even works too... (not surprising since its java, but never seen it work):

debugger.gif

And yes, a Linux desktop a GUI platform does make... but the stack trace of the debug alert still stands. Unless of course you also want to add non-ChUI to non-GUI :)

Stefan

It doesn't work for me.

Maybe it just knows better than to try ;)

Are you using ancient obsolete versions again? ;p

I did enable the debug alert from within the code, but just checked and pro -debugalert (no dash between words) will also get the help button on an alert-box providing access to the stack trace.

Cringer

Staff member

Thanks Tom - that makes sense :) I'll continue using debugalert as I only work on GUI at the moment :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I'm using 10.2B for my test (on Linux).

I start like so:

pro -debugalert

and then enter:

display entry( 17, "" ).

and ^x.

I get the error message but no debug alert message box or stack trace.

Stefan

Aha, you are 'missing' the following:

Code:
session:system-alert-boxes = true.

You do not seem to be able to set this thru the command line.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I learned something new!

Sadly, even with that the line number is either missing or stuck off to the side where it cannot be viewed.

Whereas the logentry has no such deficiency :)

Hi Tom,

Was a bit side tracked but I am now re-reading this issue and I am still lost. Where exactly would I find session startup parameters for Progress?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That depends on how your system is setup.

You probably have an icon that you use to launch your application. The startup parameters are, probably, either in the properties for that icon or they are indirectly referenced via a "pf" file: -pf xyz.pf (look inside xyz.pf to find the parameters).

Hi Tom,

I was able to find the .pf startup file and I added the session startup parameter. A log file was created and the error seems to occur with file broker.p

(Procedure: 'broker-set-attribute-list adm/objects/broker.p' Line:6505) Entry 19 is outside the range of list ^^. (560)

Any idea how to fix this?