Error in Database startup. (JUNMsg030)

DougR

What version of Progress?

What platform?

Is this a stand alone installation or is it part of a partner supplied solution?

How are you attempting to start the database? (Command line, clicking an icon, Progress Exploder, ProControl, admin server ...)

Tom,I have a similar problem and have tried everything suggested here. I also can not locate any further information on what I am experiencing.If you would have the time, I would gladly go into more detail. I am at a loss as to what to do next.Thanks.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Start by stating your particular problem. "A similar problem" really isn't very descriptive. Actual error messages are always helpful. The version of Progress in question and the platform that it is running on are pretty important too.

RealHeavyDude

This is a generic error message from the AdminServer stating that it could not start the database - or - lost contact with the database right after it did start.

If you start a database via the AdminServer double check whether you have specified a TCP port or service alias - if you don't the database will be started without TCP and the AdminServer can't reach it although it did start it.

If that's not the case then you need to check the database log file for a specific error as to why you were not able to start the database.

HTH, RealHeavyDude

DougR

Start by stating your particular problem. "A similar problem" really isn't very descriptive. Actual error messages are always helpful. The version of Progress in question and the platform that it is running on are pretty important too.

Tom, thanks for the reply.

-Progress 91B (as part of BiblioTech)Installed to run on prot 4050. No other app. on port. service is defined in services file as 4050. have also tried port 6666.
-Windows 2003 Server Enterprise SP2Issues:-begin recently - I have reviewed all updates and patches and they do not indicate any issue.
-when trying to start the database from progress explorer i get: "Cannot start database on localhost:20931:"databasename". This Process ends with outgoing code 1. (8619)(JUNMsg024)."
-I decided to uninstall and re-install to see if anything made a differenceI can not uninstall... multiple different messages: "unable to locate file" "you do not have administrative priviledges"
facts: I am a administrator on the box, as a domain user in the local admin group. I also have local admin account. I log in locally same result.

Info from logfile (admserv.log) on last attempt to start from progress explorer: [1/19/10 10:27:59 AM] [1] [AdminServer] Logging in user . (7414)[1/19/10 10:27:59 AM] [2] [AdminServer] Tool added: com.progress.juniper.admin.JAPlugIn@40e (7415)[1/19/10 10:27:59 AM] [3] [AdminServer] User has been logged in. (7416)[1/19/10 10:28:06 AM] [1] [ConnectionManager] Starting configuration: biblio.defaultconfiguration (7397)[1/19/10 10:28:06 AM] [2] [ConnectionManager] Starting process (primary) for configuration: biblio.defaultconfiguration (8470)[1/19/10 10:28:06 AM] [2] [ConnectionManager] Command = [C:\Progress91B\bin\_mprosrv, -classpath, "C:\WINDOWS\java\trustlib\;C:\WINDOWS\java\classes\;C:\PROGRESS\WRK\;C:\Progress91B\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\Progress91B\jre\lib\i18n.jar;", -properties, "C:\Progress91B\properties\conmgr.properties", -servergroup, biblio.defaultconfiguration.defaultservergroup, -adminport, 7833, -m5] (7402)[1/19/10 10:28:06 AM] [0] [ConnectionManager] * Config biblio.defaultconfiguration - Error from biblio.defaultconfiguration.defaultservergroup (primary): [10:28:06 BROKER : ** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619)] (ADMMsg005)

Thanks Tom and any who may reply to this.

RealHeavyDude

I doubt that the log file of the AdminServer will be of much help.

You need to have a look into the log file of the database to see why the databaes cannot start.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

DougR

Event logs show:
Message from PROGRESS database D:\eldocs_4\administration\databases\bibpro24\biblio (5199) SERVER : ** The database was last used Fri Dec 25 02:19:15 2009. (886)
Message from PROGRESS database D:\eldocs_4\administration\databases\bibpro24\biblio (5199) SERVER : ** The before-image file expected Thu Dec 24 19:51:04 2009. (887)
Message from PROGRESS database D:\eldocs_4\administration\databases\bibpro24\biblio (5199) SERVER : ** Those dates don't match, so you have the wrong copy of one of them. (888)
Message from PROGRESS database D:\eldocs_4\administration\databases\bibpro24\biblio (5199) SERVER : ** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
This means that your database has been damaged. Typically this message is a result of copying a live database using OS level tools or a backup program that is unaware of Progress. Judging from the fact that the quoted time stamps are roughly 24 hours apart I would guess that someone tried to restore the database but forgot to include the .bi file.

The proper response to this error is to restore from backup (a proper backup, if you have one) and then roll forward your after-image logs. That assumes, of course, that you have implemented after-imaging. If you do not have after-imaging implemented then you have just learned a very valuable lesson.

BTW -- 9.1B is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. It's ironic that you assure us that all of your OS patches are up to date and yet your Progress release is unspeakably obsolete.

DougR

Thanks for the info.
Yea, I know how old it is. It was part of a bundle with Biblio Tech and we can not upgrade. I was not the lead at the time or I would havve gone with another solution from the beginning.
We have backups of the database, have retored but still get the "Cannot start database on localhost:20931:"databasename". This Process ends with outgoing code 1. (8619)(JUNMsg024." error.OS is for sure up to date.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
How did you restore the database? Did you restore a Progress backup file with prorest or did you restore a file copy of the database? Again it would be helpfull to show the database log.

Casper.

RealHeavyDude

If he would have used probkup and prorest - out of my experience - the chances ending up with a scenario where the time stamps of the before image and the database do not match are zero.

Probably the backup he is using just contains the datbase files sans the before image. If that's the case than he is in trouble ...

Pls, don't get mad at me, but my experience shows that most people don't understand that a database is not just plain files on disk which you can backup like you would backup a folder containing office documents and be save at the same time.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You can upgrade at least to 9.1E04. It is really quite simple. Even if the vendor tries to scare you into not doing so. If you can compile code you can upgrade to OE10 and higher. The only real barrier to upgrading would be if you have stopped paying maintenance and cannot download updates.

Anyhow, we need more details about what you are actually doing, what commands are you using or what actions are you taking via some GUI tool? Casper & RHD are right.

DougR

You can upgrade at least to 9.1E04. It is really quite simple. Even if the vendor tries to scare you into not doing so. If you can compile code you can upgrade to OE10 and higher. The only real barrier to upgrading would be if you have stopped paying maintenance and cannot download updates.

Anyhow, we need more details about what you are actually doing, what commands are you using or what actions are you taking via some GUI tool? Casper & RHD are right.

Thanks guys. Finially got the DB up and running again from a good backup via prorest.
another questions.
Tom, if we go to 9.1E04, any cons? any show stoppers?
How about if I go to 10-2A?
thanks
they have not had maintenance on it in a long time. probably since 2005 or earlier.!

RealHeavyDude

Going to the latest 9 version should work without a fuzz - there is no con as this is the only version that is supported by Progress. But you can be sure, as soon as the next major release comes around, that support is dropped - which might leave you in barney in a few years.

A showstopper for going to the latest OpenEdge release - which I would recommend you - is that you don't have access to the source code of the application and therefore are not able to re-compile it. If that's the case I would urge you to try to get a hand on it ...

HTH, RealHeavyDude

DougR

Going to the latest 9 version should work without a fuzz - there is no con as this is the only version that is supported by Progress. But you can be sure, as soon as the next major release comes around, that support is dropped - which might leave you in barney in a few years.

A showstopper for going to the latest OpenEdge release - which I would recommend you - is that you don't have access to the source code of the application and therefore are not able to re-compile it. If that's the case I would urge you to try to get a hand on it ...

HTH, RealHeavyDude

<p>RHD,
<p>Thanks.
<p>I got my hands on a eval copy of OpenEdge 10-2a yesterday after this post.
<p>I installed it this morning.
<p>How do I convert our databases? When I try to start it up in Progress Explorer I get the attached message:
<p> again, appreciate all the help. DougR

Attachments

• error.bmp
    219.1 KB · Views: 21

cj_brandt

From the error msg, it looks like you are trying to use the 10.2A client to attach to your 9.x db.
To upgrade a copy of the db, look at the conv910 option of proutil in the progress kb.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
"Progress KB" is the Progress Knowledge Base. It can be found at progress.com or, more specifically: http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/Group.jsp?bgroup=progress It is a very helpful source of information regarding Progress errors.

You should probably slow down and run through a few tutorials and maybe read a bit of the documentation before you get too carried away ;)

A new thread, something like "Getting up to speed with Progress db admin" might be a good idea too.