dump_d.r files

JustMe

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, it seemed like the spot because these are DB admin user type files.

This KB tells me to look at the source to find the switches. if there is another place to find them that would work just as well.

here is where I gained part of my information:
http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/14061?retURL=/apex/progresskbsearch&popup=false

got a truck load of dot "r" (,r) files but I didn't get any dot "p" (.p) files to see the switch information. I need to know what switches there are for:
dump_d.p - Dump table contents
dump_df.p - Dump table definitions
dump_fd.p - Dump bulkloader description file
load_d.p - Load table contents
load_df.p - Load table definitions
so I may call them in a script.
I found somewhere that I need the source to find out about the switches. If there is another place to find out about the switches that would be great.

As always thanks in advance.

JustMe

found that I needed to do a *.p instead of *.*
nope, sorry it just renamed the .r to .p :-S still need some help :'(

I should have checked before posting this one :$
:embarrassed:

thanks ...

Stefan

.p, .i, .w and .cls are generally text source files, .r is a compiled file.

The source files of the OpenEdge tools like Data Administration are provided with your installation but are bundled in .pl files. These can be extracted with prolib.

JustMe

sorry, I had reversed the .p and .r . They are bundled in .pl but I am getting .r's and they are binary (Don't know how or why but that is what I am getting)

JustMe

here is what I am doing:
cd /usr/dlc/src

./extractpl prodict.pl

prolib /usr/dlc/tty/prodict.pl -extract "*.*"

and I get just .r (dot R) files
just an fyi ...
if I do a "*.p" or "*.pl" I get nothing, if I do a "*.r" I get the dot R files (as expected)

Thanks ...

Stefan

The tty directory contains a pl with compiled code (.r). You need a prodict.pl in the $DLC/src directory.

When installing if sources are installed (see manual chapter 13) seems to depend on your license. The only license on *nix that carries these seems to be '4GL Development System', whereas on Windows there are multiple products that contain this.

My OE10.2B installation on CentOS (which does not contain 4GL Development System but does have OE Development Server) does not have prodict.pl in the src folder but it does had adecomm.pl and adeedit.pl.
My OE11.0 installation on CentOS (which does have 4GL Development System) does have a prodict.pl in the src folder.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
here is what I am doing:
cd /usr/dlc/src

On an unrelated note, you may want to develop a naming convention for your DLC directories on *nix. /usr/dlc is the default, and that's fine if you only ever use one version. But when you have more than one (e.g. when you upgrade) you will install into a different directory and will want a descriptive name.

JustMe

thanks,
I use a symbolic link which seems to work fine.
ln -s dlc10.2b dlc
this way it always point to the current prod system.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You don't actually need the source:

Code:
/* dumpdf.p
 * mpro dbName -p dumpdf.p -param "dfName"
 */

run prodict/dump_df.p ( "ALL", input session:parameter, "" ).

quit.

Code:
/* loaddf.p
 * mpro dbName -p loaddf.p -param "dfName"
 */

run prodict/load_df ( input session:parameter ).

return.

JustMe

Thanks ...
the only thing is I only have dot R (.r ) files and they error when I try to run them

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

run prodict/dump_df.r ( "ALL", input session:parameter, "" ). quit.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

does not seem to work :-S the mpro tells me:
This version of PROGRESS does not allow compiles. (471)
R-code file not located for "dumpdf.p" (473)
Press space bar to continue.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Which suggests your propath is set up in such a way that uncompiled code is being found higher up the tree than the .pl.

JustMe

Thanks ...
got it to run, I am on a remote system and figured it would get the DB name from the dot PF (.pf) file, it does not! you have to specify the db name and the pf file. so

mpro mydb -pf "/my/path/to/mydatabase.pf" -p "/my/other/path/my_dumpdf.p" worked.

Thanks all, this is a great site ...
Thanks Tom

JustMe

Which suggests your propath is set up in such a way that uncompiled code is being found higher up the tree than the .pl.

hummmmm

it turned out to be a problem with the way I was calling it, I didn't have the dot P files so I couldn't look at the src
I made a bad assumption that because I called a dot PF file that included the DB name I didn't need to specify the DB name. once I included the DB name the dot r file ran fine.

BUT, thanks for taking the time to try and help, as always I appreciate any and all help.

jmac13

I've tired to run load_df.p but i get the following (see below) even though ive got the files in a src/prodict folder format any ideas?

compile Error.PNG

The code I used in a procedure editor was:
Code:
CREATE ALIAS DICTDB FOR DATABASE mis.
DISPLAY LDBNAME("DICTDB").
    RUN src/prodict/load_df.p ("test.df").
   /* RUN src/upgrade/load_d.p ("ALL",".").*/
    DELETE ALIAS DICTDB. /* Optional */

jmac13

ah yes ur are right i was being thick... but i cant find the *.df not sure where the .p is looking for it..what sort of path do i need to send to it?

Thanks

Stefan

1. have you extracted the prodict.pl completely - ie is there a %DLC%\src\prodict\uservar.i file?
2. does your propath contain the %DLC%\src directory?

Stefan

ah yes ur are right i was being thick... but i cant find the *.df not sure where the .p is looking for it..what sort of path do i need to send to it?

Not sure if it will search your propath for you, otherwise pass SEARCH( "my.df" ) as parameter or pass an absolute reference.

jmac13

Thanks Stefan.. got it working now

Code:
    CREATE ALIAS DICTDB FOR DATABASE mis.
    DISPLAY LDBNAME("DICTDB").
    RUN prodict/load_df.p ("src/upgrade/test.df").
    DELETE ALIAS DICTDB.