Dump / load - storage areas

ron

Hi,

I'm at a company with many remote sites, each with a Progress DB. They are (slowly) rolling-out a change from SCO Unix + Progress 9.1D - to Linux + Progress 10.2B. However - the storage areas are not being changed.

I want to put a case to use Type 2 storage areas. I read the Progress docs and many posts in this forum. I understand that Type 2 areas keep associated data clustered ... which means the data won't fragment like it does with Type 1 areas. I've read it said many times that with Type 2 you NEVER need to D/L again (for performance reasons). Is that literally true? Or is it that the rate of degradation is very slow such that you can go much longer in-between D/Ls?

The company also has quite a large number of (local) SQL Server DBs - and as far as I know none of them have ever had a D/L. Does SQL fragment like Progress? I remember many years back with Ingres DBs we had to D/L occasionally. But these days I only ever hear of it with Progress. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

Ron.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You definitely want to get your databases onto Type II storage with OE 10. If you are going to roll it out (slowly), I would recommend that you D/L your DBs in moving from 9 to 10 rather than just convert them with the existing structure. If you load into a Type II structure, then you get to Type II "for free". The D/L and index rebuild will likely help your performance, in addition to the many inherent performance and future-proofing benefits of being on Type II.

Type II isn't a panacea however. It is not the case that you will never need to D/L again.

I can't advise you on fragmentation in SQL Server.

Also, for a good Type II overview, read this.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Where have you been reading that you will no longer need to dump & load?

BTW -- the benefit is that *scatter* is reduced because the blocks are "asocial". "Fragmentation" isn't influenced by type 1 vs type 2. (It is unfortunate but what we call scatter is similar to what OS people call fragmentation.) This PPT 1, 2, 3 Scatter! covers the difference and may even explain why scatter can continue to be a problem even if you have type 2 areas.