Error [DataDirect]ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]socket closed

Richard Briggs

Hi I am new to Progress!

I have a created a local 11.3 installation on my laptop.

Trying to simply connect via ODBC.
Here are my connection settings:

Host name : <my computername>
Port Number : 9090
Database : c:\progress\sports2000.db
UserID : admin
Password : admin

Warning message:
[DataDirect]ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]socket closed

I have searched the forum but couldn't see a solution ...

Thanks everyone
Richard

RealHeavyDude

Is c:\progress your installation directory?

If not, what does the database log file say?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Richard Briggs

Hi,
I have tried copying the database files from c:\progress\OpenEdge\ to c:\progress\ as I read a post regarding connectivity problems otherwise - but that was a red herring.
The same problem whichever db I try to connect to - including Sports.db.

There is nothing in the log .lg file.

I read a comment you made regards allowing SQL 92 queries, perhaps that is the problem, although I am struggling to find instructions on how to do this(?) - if this is the problem.

I am grateful for your help.
Richard

RealHeavyDude

There are several stepping stones and stumbling blocks for a Progress newbie - which are mostly caused by the fact that the Progress database does not provide SQL92 connectivity out-of-the-box in a way you would expect it.

This affects security ( http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/20143 ) and the SQL92 engine itself ( http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P7843 ).

Anohter important caveat: During installation you was asked whether you would like to server 4GL and/or SQL clients with the database ( don't remember the exact wording ). If you chose 4GL ( which I believe is the default ) then you must provide the -ServerType SQL startup parameter to the proserve command because otherwise it will only start servers that can handle ABL ( 4GL ) clients.

Plus, if you did chose a "typical" installation you will wind up without the ODBC drivers being installed. You either must do a complete or a custom installation and select the drivers manually.

The reason for all this is that not many people access the Progress database via ODBC/JDBC and SQL92 - the vast majority uses the native ABL ( 4GL ) interface to talk to the Progress database.

Richard Briggs

Hi,
OK, I definitely have the ODBC driver installed, at least.

And this is what seems to installed:
_Component_Development Data Source Options=1
__SubComponent_Database Utilities (m)=1
__SubComponent_Oracle Client=1
__SubComponent_ESQL Client (m)=1
__SubComponent_SQL Common (m)=1
__SubComponent_SQL JDBC Client (m)=1
__SubComponent_SQL ODBC Client (m)=1
__SubComponent_4GL Server (m)=1
__SubComponent_Database Server (m)=1
__SubComponent_SQL Server (m)=1
__SubComponent_JDK (m)=1
__SubComponent_Progress Databases (m)=1
__SubComponent_Data Direct ODBC Driver Support=1
__SubComponent_Database Tools (m)=1
__SubComponent_ICU PSC (m)=1

I have the OpenEdge Explorer running in my browser, but I can't see anything relating to the SQL 92 service.

I can see in Windows services that I can add a startup parameter - please could you tell me what that would be to ensure SQL is running?

Thanks

RealHeavyDude

I don't have any OpenEdge Explorer at my disposal and I have never worked with it ( I am an old school kinda guy who prefers to start a database on the command line since this works the same on every platform - *nix ... ), therefore I can only speculate.

But there should be able to tweak the server group for the entry that you have create for the sports2000 database. Either you can directly toggle the server type or you can specifiy it in the miscellaneous parameters "-ServerType SQL" | "-ServerType 4GL" or "-SeverType both".

Richard Briggs

Thanks
I tried the -ServerType both as you suggest
Same error unfortunately.

I have raised it with Progress, they are going to call / help me tomorrow - so I will post back the solution if it is cracked...

Cheers Dude