custom reports and background queue

billhold

I have had to move to a new server for SYMIX 4.0.r1 (same environment, just a faster server) and now some of my custom reports that used to run from the background queue will no longer provide a printout. One report will not print at all even though it shows going through the background queue; and another report prints as though it found no data to print (zero totals, etc) even though when I run the exact same report interactively it has 20 pages of information. In both cases, the reports ran fine on the old server. It seems that the standard SYMIX reports do just fine from the background queue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

billhold

Thank you for the idea, but yes I did recompile the programs in question after we changed servers and it made no difference.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

billhold

I did remove them and place them back on the background queue. I also sent one of the reports to the background queue as a "one time" process and the report generated only had heading lines printed.

regards,
billhold

billhold

I found out that the problem has to do with the fact that I am using the "dbname" function in my programs and the database name in the interactive mode is different than it is when the job is sent to the background queue. Now all I have to do is figure out why this is happening and I'll have the problem solved.

billhold

I found out what the problem was. In the .pf startup file, I had placed the license database in the first position instead of the main database. The first database in the list becomes the database that is used for jobs sent to the background queue. Once I placed the correct database in the first postion within the .pf file, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Regards,

Bill Holden