Connect to Progress DB using a VB script

Anusellam

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a Progress database from a VB script.

When I configure the ODBC on the machine, the driver I have is Progress OpenEdge 10.1A Driver.

I specify all the required parameters like host name, port no, user id, poassword and database name, however, when I click on Test Connect I get an error message saying "Server Rejects Connection on Attach"

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here

Thanks

In that case, all I can think of is that one of your connection parameters might be wrong.

Pay particular attention to the UserID and Password - make sure the user exists in the database User list with the password specified.

If those are definitely correct, you may have to go the Tech support route, I'm afraid.

Anusellam

I am new to progress, I have only worked with SQL. Is there any tool (like Enterprise Manager in SQL) in Progrss, where I can view the list of users

Data Administration > Admin > Security > Edit User List

The user list is held in the database in the _User table.

All this stuff is documented in the manuals which you can download from here:

http://www.psdn.com/library/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=193

Bear in mind, Progress is not a great SQL database - it can be a PITA to configure and get performing well, and if you intend using it to a great extent, learn the 4GL.

If you cannot get access to the user list, for instance because of security issues, there are a couple of threads on this forum which suggest approaches.

Anusellam

Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far

We are using a thrid party software in our company, the software uses a progress database.

I have been asked to write a VB script which will connect to this database and perform an online incremental backup and then restore this backup on a standby database

The third party are reluctant to give any access to us to their database. I do not have access to the Data Administration option that you have specified above

I am trying to configure an ODBC connection so that I can use it in my VB script to connect to the database and issue the probkup command. I have been told that you could use the same drivers that you use for ODBC connection to other databases (eg. ADODB). Is this right?

Do you know of any links which give any VB script samples to connect to a Progress DB and issue a probkup statement

Thanks

kunalpathak

Got the clue or still struglng

try connecting with user sysprogress password canbe either blank or 1234

seen this thread found interesting but felt it dead since 7th aug so just asking if got any clue good if not just rehamr on the thread

Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far

We are using a thrid party software in our company, the software uses a progress database.

I have been asked to write a VB script which will connect to this database and perform an online incremental backup and then restore this backup on a standby database

The third party are reluctant to give any access to us to their database. I do not have access to the Data Administration option that you have specified above

I am trying to configure an ODBC connection so that I can use it in my VB script to connect to the database and issue the probkup command. I have been told that you could use the same drivers that you use for ODBC connection to other databases (eg. ADODB). Is this right?

Do you know of any links which give any VB script samples to connect to a Progress DB and issue a probkup statement

Thanks