Chrystal Reports in Syteline 5

nickree

Does anybody know how to configure so that I can use chrystal reports in syteline 5. I seem to have the ODBC link but cannot see any tables.

Thanks

schaapie

Are you connected to the db?
Are you logged in to the db?
Does the user have sql-rights to see any table/data?

nickree

Chrystal 9 and SL5

Thanks for your reply scaapie. I think I am connected and logged on to database. How do I give SQL rights? I thought that SL5 only used Progress.

Thanks

schaapie

To be honest, I don't know Syteline 5, but if you are using an ODBC-connection to access a Progress-database you have to grant SQL-rights.

When you create an _user "sysprogress" with password "sysprogress" (encode("sysprogress) in 4GL) and log-on to the db with that user, you should be able to grant rights and I think view them too.

In the Progress SQL Explorer (or through an other ODBC-connection)
select * from systabauth

schaapie

From syteline, I don't know.
From a Progress-client (editor):

Code:
create _user.
assign _user._userid = "something"
  _user._password = encode("somethingelse").

Or from the dataadministration-tool:
Admin -> Security -> edit user list

Beware, that as soon as you add any user, some applications may start asking for it with an extra dialog-box.

nickree

Progress

Also when I try to connect to the live db it tells me I cant because it is in multi user mode. Do you know how to change this?

Thanks

schaapie

How do you connect?
All the ways I know either have an option "multi-user" (toggle-box) or do it automatically.
Except:
connect xxx -1.
in the editor, then you should remove the -1

schaapie

Yes.
From windows/systemconfig/odbc
or from syteline
or from Progress SQL explorer
or from a progress client/editor
or ...

From windows, sql-explorer or editor I never have a problem (except when I explicitely supply the -1)
From syteline, I don't know
from ... I don't know either ;-)

nickree

progress

through odbc with blank username and password using merant drivers for odbc. from syteline just a shortcut from server using networked version