Can we Embedded PDF/ Excel/ Word Documents in Progress?

slh

Hi guys,

Can I embedded documents from 3rd party (Eg: PDF/ Word/ Excel) into any progress controls (Eg: OCX/ Windows Frame) ?

Regards, Edison

RealHeavyDude

You should be more specific as to what you mean by embed:

• Store such documents in the datbase.
  • Work with them in an application ( create / update / delete and view ).
In both cases the answer is yes but you might hit limitations depending in which version of Progress/OpenEdge you are using. Namely BLOBs have been introduced with OpenEdge 10 and therefore are not available with Progress V9.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You could use the internet explorer ocx to view the documents for example.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
In other words, you want to use and display all modern file formats using a version of Progress that is 11 years old. Why not move to a reasonable modern version of Progress where this sort of thing will be easy and supported?

slh

Dear Tamhas,

We are in the mid of thinking of upgrade, prior to date says equivalent version (Progress 9.1b embedded Windows 97-2003), can we know where to get help ?

Regards

Casper

Staff member
Ehm, I did reply to this post. So maybe thats an option? Otherwise, maybe tell us what you mean with embed.
And upgrading is not something you need to think about. It is something you HAVE to do. Just compile against 10.2B and see if all still works. You will find out that you wont run into problems you cant solve.

Regards,
Casper.

Obviously U can upgrade to OpenEdge, where this is simpler but that is NOT what U asked. I know what U require help with. There are 2 approaches, the active X / control method or 4GL. I like the active X / control method. will assume that U R on a windows environment. By that assumption I alsho assume that U have IE installed. With IE there is a control that U can access. On a container source - window - drop an IE control using the ocx button on the pallet selecting the control (windows\system 32\ieframe.dll) drop this control onto UR container source to embed documents.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You seem to have the cart before the horse. It is possible that you can accomplish what you want in some way in 9.1B ... but, there is a very good chance that it will not be the right or best way to accomplish that purpose in 10.2B (or soon 11). Why go to a lot of work to make something happen in 9.1B and then have to redo the work for 10.2B?

Chances are, the upgrade is close to compile and go. Get it done and then look at the problem in the context of a contemporary toolset.

slh

Obviously U can upgrade to OpenEdge, where this is simpler but that is NOT what U asked. I know what U require help with. There are 2 approaches, the active X / control method or 4GL. I like the active X / control method. will assume that U R on a windows environment. By that assumption I alsho assume that U have IE installed. With IE there is a control that U can access. On a container source - window - drop an IE control using the ocx button on the pallet selecting the control (windows\system 32\ieframe.dll) drop this control onto UR container source to embed documents.

Hi mjpowellesq,

Thanks. will try it out.

Felas, its not my 1 person call to upgrade though we want everything possible. In anyway, I just have to make best possible used of given resources :) Cheers.

Casper

Staff member
my first post in this thread:
You could use the internet explorer ocx to view the documents for example.
there are many occasions I dont think people even read the answers.

U don`t need to upgrade to Progress OpenEdge.
The Progress 4GL is able to facilitate what U require. No need for the ABL.
It has been possible with the 4GL since at least V8 - Thats when I started doing it.
Using the ie control I mentioned. This syntax will help you achieve what you require, have a play with it:
chWebDisp:WebDisp:Navigate ("c:\temp\bob.doc",chWebDisp:WebBrowser,,,).

Casper

Staff member
U don`t need to upgrade to Progress OpenEdge.
The Progress 4GL is able to facilitate what U require. No need for the ABL.
It has been possible with the 4GL since at least V8 - Thats when I started doing it.
Using the ie control I mentioned. This syntax will help you achieve what you require, have a play with it:
chWebDisp:WebDisp:Navigate ("c:\temp\bob.doc",chWebDisp:WebBrowser,,,).

mjpowellesq: There is NO difference in ABL and 4GL, it was a rebranding of the name, still the same language. You seem very persistent in thinking (wrongly) otherwise.
And there is every reason to upgrade, but that argument was settled because the op told us they where in the process of doing so.

Dude I know that the product is the same, it is just branding.
But before the ABL branding, when the product were 4GL. I just used the different labels to represent
the different time periods.

Try implementing this control.
It is an active X to enable you to insert office documents
into UR application

Attachments

• control.zip
    46.8 KB · Views: 90

slh

Hi Guys,

Pardon me, but I cant find the specific icons from Window> Show Object Palette which I had browse through but unabe to find IE OCS control.

aaimaai

Is there a way to enable the tab key to navigate over different form fields inside the webbrowser control? It seems the tab key event is captured by Progress to navigate out of the webbrowser control and move to the next control in de progress window. I can prevent this with a 'return no-apply' in the TAB trigger of the control frame, but the focus inside the webbrowser control doesn't change.

Edit: I fixed this by setting the HonorProKeys property on the COM-HANDLE object to FALSE.

Last edited:

slh

mjpowellesq
Re: Can we Embedded PDF/ Excel/ Word Documents in Progress?
into UR application
Hi mjpowellesq,

Sorry a little futher question, where should I place the control ? And how do I call them out ?

slh

mjpowellesq
Re: Can we Embedded PDF/ Excel/ Word Documents in Progress?
into UR application

Hi mjpowellesq,

Sorry a little futher question, where should I place the control ? And how do I call them out ?

If its specifically *PDF file, can I use the OCX provided by you?

slh

Hi all,

I tries to the web browser control it is only during run time I can rag and Drop PDF unto the web browser control, can I direct Progress Web Browser control to automatically load this PDF file whenever it is run automatically without manual intervention?

Regards