Can I get full info about my database

magmag

Hello!
I am completely new to Progress. We have a progress database in our organisation that I want to know everything about.

Specifications: Progress 8.3b and WebSpeed 9.0b

I realize that this is a really old version, but noone has done anything with this database since 2000. We only have one application that uses the database.

What I want to do now is get a complete view of all the tables (with fields and datatypes), relations and everything else that can be useful.
In short I have to document the database.

How do I do this?

magmag

Thanks Tom!

As I said earlier I am a complete newbie with Progress so this might be stupid questions but I hope you bare with me.

Am I supposed to write "pro dbname -p dict.p" in a windows command prompt on the server?
Are there any documentation about the Data Administration Menu available over Internet, in eg pdf?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Note that dbname is the name of your specific data base.

Yes, all manuals are available on-line at PSDN ... but I don't know if they go back that far!

There are also tools for reverse engineering the data dictionary into ER and UML, if that is something that would interest you.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Since you didn't specify your platform I assumed that you were running UNIX. As all right thinking people do :cool:

Unfortunately you seem to be running Windows so "easy" is out of the question.

Presumably you've got some icons somewhere that connect to your database and start some application. Modify one of those to contain "-p dict.p" in its properties (at the end of the "target" field). If you've got the right license that should do what you need.

Yes, there are docs online. The best place to find them is probably PSDN. Of course they all refer to more modern releases than 8.3 but the basics haven't really changed all that much. You'll just find that there are neat new things that you won't be able to do until you upgrade.

magmag

My guess is that we are using a windows server of some kind. Looks like it in the documentation I have got. I have no tools on my computer for Progress. All tools is located on the server that is in a server room and I have no access to it. Next week I will get a session in front of the server and that is why I want to know what to do.

Tom, I will try your way and see what that leads to.
About the documentation... I've downloaded the "Progress Database Administration Guide and Reference" is there any other useful documentation that could be useful for me?

Tamhas: "There are also tools for reverse engineering the data dictionary into ER and UML, if that is something that would interest you."
YES!! It would be perfect if I got an UML of the database! Are there standard tools for this that might already be installed on the server or do I have to install something? Installations are a bit tricky for me since I am not in charge of the machine so I have to order the installation from others.
Is there a way of dumping the information about the database to a file and then create UML with a tool on my own PC?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
As it happens I'm working with an 8.2 Windows database this morning...

To get to the data dictionary from a command line:

Code:
c:\dbdir> echo %DLC%
c:\dlc

c:\dbdir> echo %PATH%
C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;c:\dlc;c:\dlc\bin

c:\dbdir> prowin32 dbname -RO -rx -p dict.p

The important thing is that c:\dlc\bin needs to be in the PATH. If it isn't then you'll need to add it. (There are other ways but making sure that these variables are set makes life a whole lot easier...)

This will bring up a Progress GUI client. If the database has users defined it may ask for a userid and password. If you have that information enter it. If not then you can try the "cancel" button. In many cases that will let you in as an "blank" userid. In some cases you may not get any further -- it depends on the security settings of the database.

Assuming that you get by the login you will then be warned that you have a read-only connection to the db. Don't worry about that, it mostly means that you cannot do any damage. (If you'd like to be able to hose the database feel free to remove -RO from the command line above...) Click ok and you'll be taken to the Data Dictionary. Reports are available under the "Database" menu.

tudorconstantin

Hello,
I have never used progress less than 9.1, but there are some nice and really easy to use reporting utilities. You have to start your app builder (of course, if progress 8.3 has such a thing), then go from Tools Menu to Data Administration. In Data Administration, from Database menu, choose Reports. You will have several sub menus, each of which will generate easy to read some kind of more or less detailed report.
Hope it helps.

magmag

Thank you everyone!!

I managed to get the information that I needed. At least I hope this is correct information that I've got!

I also tried to dump the content of the tables but that didn't work. I used the Data Administation tool but under the menu Admin->Dump Data and Definitions the "Table Contents (.d files)" where disabled. Does anyone know why this is? Am I supposed to do something special before I can dump the content?

magmag

Yes! I used "-p _admin.p -RO -rx" along with the databasename. -RO gave me a warning so I tried without -RO and that worked to.

The server was already configure with a shortcut using -p _admin.p.

magmag

I tried that earlier. Or more accurately it was already configured without -rx and then The whole admin menu was disabled.
What did ju say about license issues. Can our Progress license be old and therefore is dumping table contents disabled? The system that uses the database is still working fine.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can't dump table contents with the data administration with a run time license.

But I thought you where interested in finding data relations and the structure of the database? You can dump df file and you can run the reports.

regards,

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It isn't the age of the license, but what capabilities are in the license. -rx is a limited access to do some minimal data admin functions. To do more, you need at least a 4GL license.

magmag

You are right that my initial question was about how to get structure and relations which I have got. However, when I was sitting in front of the server I also realized that I needed to have the content to understand everything.

regards
Magnus