Question Build Scripts - Pct?

We are migrating our application from 9.1E to 11.6 (LINUX Env). In our current application we have a program that gets all .p's from various folder (15 folders) and generates respective .r files to target location and it's all manual. As part of our migration we wanted to automate the build process. I see PCT/Jenkins widely used. Do we still stick with PCT or do we have a better way to automate?

Last edited:

GillesQ

AFAIK, PCT is still the only open-source build automation tool, and still widely used after more than 10 years, so still the way to go.
Regarding continuous integration systems, there are different options available, Jenkins being a good one if you want to spend some time baby-sitting him.

Gilles

PS : there may be a bias in this answer as I'm the PCT author

@GillesQ - that's nice. I did basic test integrating PCT with my app; its easy to use and an awesome utility. Great work!

PCT is still the only open-source build automation tool, and still widely used after more than 10 years, so still the way to go.
We have a Progress group of close to 100 folks on Whatsapp and I heard the same from them as well; so its definitely not a biased answer. :)

This is the comment I got from our progress group - 'PCT is king, no other tool available right now. Instead of Jenkins you could use Hudson but Jenkins has better community support in case of issues'.