Before Image and After Image Files

mattk

Hi there,

We are configuring a new Openedge 10.0B with a brand new database structure and I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions:

What are the benefits of having the .bi files on a seperate disk to the remainder of the database? Is it simply for disk I/O or are there other underlying benefits?
We will be employing a replication process using afterimage files with our DR site. We have developed a solution previously using Progress 9.1D and want to ammend the solution to fit the new databases. Do you know if the output that OpenEdge 10.0B produces when using rfutil commands is different to 9.1D? Our scripts rely on the output that Progress creates to run the replication script. Any help that you could give would be much appreciated.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If it is new why aren't you using 10.1B (or even 10.1C) rather than 10.0???

The reason to put the BI file on its own disk is performance. If you have just one db it makes sense. But if you have quite a few it quickly becomes impractical.

The performance benefit is also not what it used to be. Progress has done a really good job of mitigating that bottleneck over the years and these days it is rarely a serious issue.

Having the AI files on their own disk is all about robustness -- you want them on different disks so that you can still recover if the you lose the disk holding the DB. That's much more important than segregating the BI file.

As for rfutil output changing... My v9 scripts are all still working so I'd say that nothing serious has changed. But you should, of course, test your scripts.