beauty.p Reformats Progress Source Code

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the famous beauty.p program written in Progress Version 6 by Warren Bare while at Progress. It <STRONG>reformats Progress source code</STRONG> in "standard" form. There is also an updated copy, beauty8.p, for Progress V8 and above that was written by Matthew Brooks.

dayv2005

Please give us the link. I was lookng for this awhile ago and couldn't find it or anything or if you can't give us the link could someone please send me a version of it 8 preferably but will take either.

dpipes@aimntls.com

Check out becom and code changer on the Peg utilities page.

http://www.peg.com/utilities.html

I don't have a direct link to beauty.p, but I reckon you should be able to pick it up from one of the Progress (ex Posse) codebase downloads.

In the meantime, it's attached here from my PC.

Attachments

• BEAUTY.p
    14.3 KB · Views: 428

dayv2005

so in order to use beauty then i just run .p and enter in the source code for my file? Would that be absolute location or relitive and would that be r-code or .p?

just trying to get use to this.

so in order to use beauty then i just run .p and enter in the source code for my file? Would that be absolute location or relitive and would that be r-code or .p?

just trying to get use to this.

Dunno. Just had a quick go on it (haven't used it for ages), nothing much seemed to happen, so had a quick look at the code, got scared, went back to work.

I'll have another go later if you don't resolve it in the meantime.

dayv2005

lol haha ok thanks man. I haven't got it yet, but yeah thats what i did to too a run for it and it seemed like nothing happened and i was like hmm maybe im doing it worng.

Stick the source file in your working directory (startup directory of your Progress icon), then enter the filename sans path.

Warning: beauty.p will overwrite the existing file.

It appears to look for files in the working directory that begin with the entered filename, to format all of them, but I tried it with one only.

Code:
ELSE IF OPSYS = "WIN32" THEN DO:
  INPUT FROM OS-DIR(".") NO-ECHO. [B]<< working directory[/B]
  REPEAT m-filnum = 1 TO 1000: [B]<< build the list of files we will format[/B]
    SET os-file.
    FILE-INFO:FILE-NAME = os-file.
    IF FILE-INFO:FILE-TYPE MATCHES "*F*"
       AND FILE-INFO:FILE-TYPE MATCHES "*R*" 
       AND FILE-INFO:FILE-NAME BEGINS m-file THEN DO:
      ASSIGN m-filara[m-filnum] = FILE-INFO:FULL-PATHNAME.
    END.
  END.
END.

pahc

Hello,

Can anyone share a good working copy of beauty.p for win32 progress8 and above environment.

thanks,
pahc