Backup Still....

I managed to backup manually - can someone check this does the same as the script - I know it does - just getting confused why it isn't working.

I cd'd to the db directory and backed up from there.

I also used the procontrol to shut down the service instead of using "proserve stop."

as u can see its a whopping database - but quite important really

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    80.3 KB · Views: 10

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Your scripts are a mess.

A DOS variable name is accessed with "%", not "$".

You also need the % on both sides of the variable when you de-reference it.

When you set variables you must not have spaces around the "=".

"c:DLC" is not a proper path specification. You probably mean "c:\DLC"

When appending the Progress "bin" directory you need a "\" between %DLC% and the "bin".

For instance, this does not work:
Code:
set DLC=c:DLC
set PATH = %PATH;%DLC%bin
echo %PATH%

The 1st line is ok. The second is not. The 3rd proves it.

This does:

Code:
set DLC=c:\DLC
set PATH=%PATH%;%DLC%\bin
echo %PATH%

Notice the differences?

i used php tags not the code ones- trying to do it too quickly - that explains the absence of "\" - i also don't know where the $ came from - its not in my script....anyway hopefully this is better

stop proservice

Code:
cd: c:\
call %DLC%\bin\pccmd proservice stop
backup script:

Code:
cd c:\
call %DLC%\bin\probkup.bat c:\eureka\db\eureka E:\ProgressBackups\eureka%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%.pbk -com >>c:\backups\backuptask\log.txt
rem call %DLC%\bin\probkup.bat "C:\EUREKA\Eureka 2007\db\eureka" E:\ProgressBackups\eureka2007%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%.pbk -com >>c:\backups\backuptask\log.txt
start proservice:

Code:
cd: c:\
call %DLC%\bin\pccmd proservice start

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I really don't understand the problem you have and I don't have a version that old to test with.
But with version 9 this works if you have directories with spaces:

Code:
set DLC=c:\DLC9
set PATH=%DLC%\bin;%PATH%

call _dbutil  probkup "C:\dir with spaces\sports\sports2000" c:\temp\bu.budb >> c:\temp\bu.log

the backup runs the log is made. So no problem.
Please look for yourself in the probkup.bat file. See what it does, put it in your script, make a backup and upgrade to 10.2A.

Casper.

I have no progress experience - unfortunately no one does at my work - it is an old application.

I will try your script tonight - it basically cannot find the database in the directory c:\eureka\eureka 2007\db\....fingers crossed ill get it sorted soon.

Random question not related to the thread but I am hoping for a one word answer. To save money I am proposing installing SQL Server on the same server as the Progress Database. Any known issues if I go ahead with this?

Final question: Anyone got upgrade notes, no doubt we would have to pay so i can't see it happening. What is required?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Technically, upgrading is simple. In a nutshell:

1) Shutdown your db.
2) Truncate the bi file.
3) Backup.
4) Install the new version of Progress.
5) Run "proutil dbname -C convXY"
6) Run "proutil dbname -C updatevsts"
7) If you have app servers or webspeed configured you will need to mess with properties files and so forth.
8) Review your startup parameters and ensure that they still make sense.
9) Recompile your code base.
10) Restart.

Notes:

a) Obviously this should be tested before it is done for real.

b) "convXY" is shorthand for convert version X to version Y. You have version 8 and the current release is version 10 so you would actually have to do this in 2 steps:

%DLC%\bin\91dbutils\91conv89 dbname
proutil dbname -C conv910

c) Recompiling may produce errors. Usually this is just a matter of a variable or field name that has become a new keyword. You can either edit the code and change the name of the variable/field or you can add the name to the keyword forget list. In rare cases you might also come across code that the compiler dislikes because certain bugs have been fixed -- that requires someone to fix the code (this is very rare, it probably won't happen).

If you have been paying your annual maintenance this should not cost anything. In fact you will be lowering your annual maintenance by staying current (18% vs 20%).

Even though this is at a high level quite simple, given your lack of Progress experience and administrative know-how you would be well advised to get some professional help. You cannot get a simple backup script to work properly so I wouldn't expect that you're going to have a great deal of success managing an upgrade on your own.

Thankyou

the _dbutil fixed it.

I won't concern myself with an upgrade. If I have my own way we will migrate to SQL anyway.

Out of curiousity how many years progress experience have you guys got?

Probably more than I do years alive....

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
How is it that you expect SQL Server to save you any money?

As for "how long?"... I think that it has been 22 years or so for me.

Basically I touched my first PC 7 years ago, graduated 18 months ago and got a job in IT 12 months ago....since then I have worked on pretty much anything.

We would no longer need to buy the licenses/support from the Progress application = cost saving. That software is only used by 1 dept now and we are hoping it will move to the application the rest of the organisation is using.

Secondly the SQL server can be used for any other applications which currently use SQL. The plan is to move some of the older applications from old servers and install on the Progress server....should mean we can switch off 2/3 old servers1. Saving us money that would be spent on new servers and on power from the older boxes.

Granted we would need a SQL license for the server....but at least we have experienced users of SQL (maybe not experienced, we have no DBA's)

So I am told...after all I am only support.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you are currently buying licenses and paying support you have no excuse for being on such an ancient obsolete and unsupported release of Progress. Are you also still running Windows 95?

I can understand and sympathize with the desire to have everything under a single db that you know how to manage. But the people using the application probably like using it for a reason. And IT exists to support the business, not vice versa.