Question Autocomplete Combo-box

Greetings Everyone! I am using OpenEdge 11.3, I have a trouble @ my combo-boxes, I want to add Auto-completion to it, to provide my users an easier way to search combo-box data. My problem is I don't find any solutions to my problem. I this two problems:
1. How to define a combo-box that allows a user's input. (The Data in my combo-box can only be selected by the event of drop-down, users can't put any input).

2. If users are now allowed to insert inputs @Combo-boxes how to do a auto-completion event.

I hope for your responses Masters. Thank you.

RealHeavyDude

The combo-box widget that comes with the ABL widgtets is not designed for user input in the way you have in mind. Therefore there is also no way that I know on how you would achieve an auto-complete feature. The ABL combo-box widget is the wrong type of widget for your requirement.

If you need to stay with pure ABL widgets, then the only way I see is to use a combination of a fill-in and a search button that occasionally pops-up a browse. Although this might be 3 widgets you have to deal with as a developer, if done smart, for the user, the still can look and feel like 1 widget.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

The combo-box widget that comes with the ABL widgtets is not designed for user input in the way you have in mind. Therefore there is also no way that I know on how you would achieve an auto-complete feature. The ABL combo-box widget is the wrong type of widget for your requirement.

If you need to stay with pure ABL widgets, then the only way I see is to use a combination of a fill-in and a search button that occasionally pops-up a browse. Although this might be 3 widgets you have to deal with as a developer, if done smart, for the user, the still can look and feel like 1 widget.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Okay now I see Sir, thank you for your response.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I've used various incarnations of smart combos over the years. As RHD says, it can be done right. Essentially a fill-in that creates a dynamic browse as you type. You can create something standard using persistent procs (or includes - yes shoot me!), meaning the behaviour is the same across the application. You'll have to engineer something that suits your application yourself though.

oli

Just want to mention that you can play with the following attributes of a combo-box widget to achieve your needs:
subtype = drop-down (default is drop-down-list)
auto-completion = yes
unique-match = yes

combo-box.jpg

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If it works in 10.2 and 11.6 then it will also work in the interim releases.