Applications

sophia

Would like to know if I were to program an application for a client, after complete, do I just sent the .exe file? From what I know, VB exe files need to be linked to some dll files to work for an end user. Also, how would I know which files need to be linked to the exe files? eg . COBOL, exe files need to link with any other files? Please do enlighten me on how it actually works. Appreciated;p

jongpau

Hi,

On the client you will need to have (at least) a Progress client installed + either one or more local database(s) or access to remote databases (Client/Server) or the Progress AppServer. Furthermore you will (of course) need to install your progress r-code (compiled procedures) and any images, icons and other resources your application needs to run.

HTH

sophia

Thanks jongpau! However, I still don't get it. Can you elaborate a bit more on how this works? Is it it needs another software to deploy this application? Where can I find more information on this? Thanks
:D

jongpau

Hi Sophia,

Here goes nothing (crash course Progress 101 :awink: ) If I forget something (or state something incorrectly) then please someone correct me.

First of all, Progress does not create exe files. You write your 4GL code using the editor (or the AppBuilder). When you have completed a program you can compile it into a so-called r-code file. You can see this as a "Progress executable".

Progress uses an "interpreter" (sort of like the basic interpreter that used to be used with good-old ms-dos, but far more complex) when it runs your code.

Progress has a number of different products you can use;
1. "Standard" Progress, for normal applications (Client/Server)
2. WebSpeed, Allows you to create (Progress 4GL) internet applications that can run in a web browser.
3. AppServer/WebClient, Allows you to create distributed applications that can run on a LAN or the internet.

To keep things simple I will only talk about the "Standard" Progress.

When you deliver an application to a client, the client will need (at least) the following to run the application:
- A Progress RunTime for the Operating System they are using and with the same version as the one you used to develop the application. This RunTime will need to be purchased from Progress. Each user of your application will need a RunTime license (so for 10 users they will need to purchase 10 client licenses).
- The actaul database files that your application uses (if your application does not need a database your better of programming in some other language, which will be heaps cheaper).
- If the application is used by more than one user at the same time (so-called multi user), the client will need to purchase a Progress Database Server license (from Progress) for the Operating System on which the database resides and with the same version as you used to create the application. Of course Database Server licenses are also sold on a user-count basis. The Progress RunTimes can "connect" to the database server either through shared memory (when the application runs on the same machine as the database) or through a LAN (using TCP/IP).
- The compiled r-code of your application will need to be available to each client running the application. You can either physically install this r-code on each machine that runs your application or place it on a shared network drive that the machines can access (the latter option is of course somewhat slower).

If you do NOT use a Progress database:
Progress allows you to use, for instance, an Oracle database instead of a Progress one. If you or your customer wants to do this, you will need to purchase the correct Progress DataServer product for the database in question (i.e. Oracle) and will of course also need to have purchased the correct and sufficient Database licenses for the database used (i.e. Oracle).

If you have created a GUI (Windows) application:
- Each machine will need to have access to any and all images, icons etc that your application uses. As with the r-code, these will have to be stored on each machine, or on an accessible network drive.
- If you use any OCX files in your UI, these OCX files need to be installed and registered on each machine that runs the application. Note that the customer/client may have to purchase licenses in order to be able to use these (this depends on what you use)
- If you interface with any external application (for instance MS-Word or Excel to name a few often used ones), these will, of course, have to be installed (with a valid license) on the machine that runs the application.

If you want to allow your customer to modify your programs the client will also have to purchase:
- The correct development licenses from Progress for each machine/user that will do any modifications to your source code (of course the same version as used by you to create the application). Note that you can also run the application with a development license, so the client does not have to purchase RunTime licenses for these machines (but they do count for the number of database connections). If you use AppBuilder to create your application, it is advised that the customer also uses (purchases) this product.

And finally it is also advised for your customer to:
Purchase a "maintenance contract" with Progress for all of the Progress products in use. This is very important since it allows the customer to upgrade to new versions (at limited cost) and also gives access to Progress tech support. Maintenance is a yearly fee to be paid to Progress and is, if things have not changed, based on the total price of the Progress products.

Long story and I hope I did not forget anything or said anything incorrect... Hope this helps a bit. If you are still confused after reading this (which I can imagine), I suggest you contact your local Progress office (see http://www.progress.com) and ask for one of their representatives to help you out with any questions you may have regarding pricing, product availability, which product to use etc.