9407 Error - while connecting to AppServer

Dear All,

Progress :- OE 102B

I started the AppServer and trying connect the client using the below code

ASSIGN ret = servhd1:CONNECT("-H WS056DT0099PRD -S 3091 -AppService Test").
MESSAGE ret VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO BUTTONS OK.

I am getting an error as shown below

Connection failure for host WS056DT0099PRD port 3091 transport UDP.(9047).

Once I Pressed OK button of that error dailog.

Application server connect failure (5468).

How can I solve this error. Is this is a 10.2B error or WIN7 OS issue.

Kinly help me.

TIA
Philip

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 48

RealHeavyDude

The error message exactly means that there is no service talking UDP available at the port you have specified. Just guessing that 3091 ( or 3092 as in your screen shot ) is the port of the AppServer broker - not the one of the name server ( which per default is 5162 ). Unless you are planning to utilize the direct connect you need to specify the port of the name server in your connection string. That way the client asks the name server ( via UDP ) where the application service is located, gets the answer from the name server ( which then would be the IP host and port of the AppServer broker as long as it is registered at that name server ) and uses that response to connect with TCP ( AppServer protocol ) to the AppServer broker.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Thanks a lot for you reply.
Please tell me , how can I add the port of the Name server in my connection string?
Or you mean instead of the broker port do i have to use the NameServer port number in -S ?
I used the NameServer port( -S 5162 instead -S 3091) in the connection string , that time I got below error
Application Service Test Not found at NameServer at Host 10.101.2.50 port 5162 (8245).
Then I went to the broker setting and change the Broker port to 5162 from 3091 that time I got the same old error in the previous post.

Please tell me where I hae to look into? Do I have to edit the services file under windows\system32\drivers\etc ?

Regards
Philip

RealHeavyDude

There are two options ( from the client's point of view ) to connect to the AppServer:
  1. Using the name server ( as a router if you want to ) which means that you must specify the host and port of the name server in your connection string ( which would be port 5162 unless you changed it ) at which the AppServer broker has registered itself.
  2. Using direct connect to bypass any name server which means that you must use the host and port of the AppServer broker and add the -DirectConnect parameter to your connection string.
Most people I know use the name server and AFAIK it is the method Progress recommends. IIRC the direct connect was introduced with OE10 because some customers did not allow UDP in their network and others did not want to have the additional overhead of a name server for performance reasons. But with the direct connect you loose the fault tolerance and load balancing mechanisms that the name server provides.

In your case the name server you are asking does not have the AppServer broker you are requesting registered. You should check the settings for that AppServer to see at which name server it will register to and which alias(es) it uses and specify that name server in your connection string.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.