9.1D database stops when user logs out of Windows Server

cuoncrs

Hey everyone. We've got about 70 different client installations, all about the same. At one site, we have a situation where they cannot log out of the Windows 2008 server, because it will stop the database. They have to log in, start the database, and then lock the machine. We have reinstalled the Progress software a couple times, and still the same thing happens.

Progress 9.1D.
We use a custom database up/down tool because the MMC doesn't work on Windows 2008. It basically does a DBMAN -Start.

The database log file does not show any shutdown activity. Normal activity, then the next time the user logs in and starts database it is logged.

Has anyone come across this weirdness anywhere else? Again, it's 1 out of 70 servers that we have our applications installed on. That makes me think it's something with the server, but I don't know where to look.

Thanks for reading!

-Guy

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
9.1D, Windows 2008... what's wrong with this picture? ;)

I'm no Windows guy (no, that isn't what is wrong with the picture...) so take this with a grain of salt but I think the that user that starts Progress has to be "local admin" or something like that. It is something that happens on Windows -- basically when the wrong sort of user logs out Windows helpfully stops all of that user's processes. I think you usually see a message to the effect that a "CONTROL-SHUTDOWN event has occurred". Or something like that. One way around it might be to use "scheduled tasks" to launch a BAT file that does your dirty work.

Google seems to think that this sort of thing is common in other languages. One suggested work-around is to add -Xrs to the Java startup parameters (dbman et al use Java -- there is a %DLC%\properties\javataools.propeties file that looks like a good place to slip that in...)

9.1D??? It's almost 2014... 11.3 was released a couple weeks ago...

cuoncrs

Thanks! That's the kind of direction pointing that I was hoping for. Unfortunately, I'm not a Server guru, so I'm not sure where to start looking for this stuff. Any web searches turn up a lot of information, that doesn't necessarily pertain to my issue.

I would love to upgrade to 11.3, but our clients are government entities, and can't really help us cover the costs of upgrading. Our business model was carried out by previous employees, and the maintenance costs for the licenses wasn't efficient in their eyes. We still plan to upgrade, it's just figuring out what the hurdles are before we start running. :)

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you need help jumping the hurdles then you're in the right place here. There's quite a lot of upgrade experience. And if you have source, for the majority of the stuff it's very simply a case of stop database, upgrade database, start database, recompile (and obviously upgrade clients). When moving from 9.X to 10.X/11.X though you'll want to move your data into Type II Storage areas which will need a bit more forethought, but is worth the effort for a whole gamut of reasons!

RealHeavyDude

From an operational risk point of view: Running on such an old software which is not supported anymore by the vendor imposes a significant risk onto your business and is leaving your production system hanging by a thread. More so when you upgrade the underlying OS to the latest and greatest stuff.

I am stressing this because at the moment I am fighting to get our system upgraded from OE10.1c to OE11.3. It took hitting a bug in OE10.1c that rendered the application corrupt so that we were sending erroneous financial statements to regulators and customers to change the minds of the powers that be to see the need. Regulatory and legal implications can be quite funny for any company theses days.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Chris Hughes

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Maybe you should start your batch file (or whatever) via a service set to automatically start. This is what v10.2 does with the admin service.

I'm sure a generic google about creating a service manually will help you out.

The service would need to run as local system as minimum, if that doesn't work try running the service as your user.